Chapter 24

The next morning, after I'd showered and eaten breakfast, I went down to the pharmacy with Eren. He hadn't talked much since his encounter with Erwin the night before. He seemed lost in thought. Whenever I spoke to him it took him a moment too long to respond. I wanted to unscrew his head like a lid and fish out all the bad thoughts occupying his mind. It hurt to see him this way, so guilt-ridden and remorseful for something he wasn't responsible for. How long would he let this eat away at him? How long would I have to watch him suffer in silence?

As I hunted through drawers for some gauze, I kept my eyes glued on Eren, who stood near the door with two packer bottles in hand. Hanji had ordered us down here to gather some medical supplies for Armin. After examining him, she discovered he had a severe case of dehydration. He'd lost over nine percent of his total body water. Since the sanctuary didn't have what she needed to properly treat him, she was improvising with an electrolyte solution meant for children. That must've not been good enough for Jean, because he'd offered to make a run for what Armin needed later this evening. It was apparent he'd already staked his claim on the omega.

"What else are we here for?" I asked once I found a roll of gauze that had been stuffed behind a box of band aids. I couldn't remember half of the things we were supposed to get.

Eren blinked several times, almost like he was coming out of a fog, and said, "Antiseptic wash and antibiotic ointment. Also, pain medication, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the bottle Hanji instructed me to get. None of these are labeled."

"Of course they're not. Hanji likes to make life difficult for no apparent reason. I'll phone her here in a minute." I waited for him to add something more to the conversation, but he just stood there with a vacant look in his eyes. I couldn't stand seeing that expression anymore. The omega in me demanded that I do something to ease the pain of my alpha. So, setting the gauze off to the side, I walked over to him and stood on tiptoes to bring our necks together. Our scents filled the space between us. No matter how many times I smelled it, the effect it had on me didn't lessen.

"Levi," he breathed out as he relaxed against me, head dropping onto my shoulder.

I pressed in close to him, a wounded noise parting my lips when he slid his hands beneath my shirt. The warmth of his palms on my bare skin felt so good. I couldn't help but respond to it.

"Your heat still isn't over, is it?" He leaned back far enough to look me in the eye. "You must be in pain."

"It's not so bad anymore. My heat should be over within a day or two. Don't worry."

"I do worry. You're straining yourself when you should be at home resting."

I grinned despite myself. That was the second time he referred to his apartment as our home. How could something so simple make me this happy?

"I'm fine. What we should be doing is calling Hanji to figure out which pain meds she wants us to get."

"Levi," he said, cupping my face, "are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes."

He studied my face intently before he went in search of the phone. I breathed out a sigh of relief. It would be pointless to worry him over something I had under control. My pain was tolerable. Once we checked in on Armin, and made sure he was in stable condition, I would get the rest I needed.

"Find it?" I called out.

"Yeah." A few minutes later, with the phone still pressed to his ear, he said, "It's the one with the blue colored pills."

I picked up one of the packer bottles he'd set on the counter and unscrewed the lid. Peeking inside, I saw an abundance of blue tablets. "Found them."