Chapter 3

This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. I'd heard countless stories about omegas choosing a mate, how their instincts would surge up and tell them This is the one. This is the one that I want for the rest of my life. Something in their body would recognize the total submission, and their scent gland would rise to the surface of their skin, leaving them in a vulnerable, accepting state. It would show the alpha of their choice that they had handed over complete control. It was a conscious decision on both sides. So how could this be happening to me? How could I have chosen this alpha without even realizing it? My body was betraying me in the worst possible way.

Eren took a step toward me, hands raised in a meek gesture, and I fished out the repellent spray from my pocket. I wasn't going to put my trust in this alpha. It didn't matter what he saw, what he smelt, this was a mistake.

"Stay right there," I warned.

He stopped, but his body shook with the effort to keep away from me. "You're scared and in shock. I won't leave you here unprotected. Let me take you to Hanji."

I brought the spray up, my arm shaking. "I already told you that I'm not your responsibility."

"But you are." His eyes shot down to my neck, a look of sheer desperation settling on his face. "You've given me the right to take care of you. Please, Levi."

"I haven't given you anything! I haven't... I didn't mean for this to happen."

"Please," he pleaded. "I won't mark you against your will, but I need to take you somewhere safe. If another alpha comes across you, they will react to your scent. Do you think they'll be able to hold back the way I am?"

I cupped my neck and whined under my breath as my fingertips slid over the sensitive skin. No other alpha would show the same restraint. We both knew that. They would let their instincts take over the instant they smelled me, uncaring of my feelings towards the situation. Even if I were to hurry to the medical wing in search of Hanji, I was bound to run into an alpha along the way, and once they were aware of my scent gland throbbing just below the surface of my skin, I would have no chance of escaping. I could already feel my body going slack in preparation for the bonding mark to take place. I was weak, defenseless, and it was all Eren's fault.

Damn him.

Leaning back against the wall, I thought over my options. Not that I had many at this point. I would either have to take my chances with Eren, or risk facing an alpha that didn't possess half the control he did. Fuck. Who was I kidding? It was obvious which I should choose.

"Spray that on your neck," Eren suggested in a strained voice when I stayed quiet, gesturing to the bottle I held. "You can even spray it on my face, just...please."

"You're so annoying," I muttered, but lifted the bottle to my neck. I sprayed a generous amount onto my skin. The pungent, nauseating smell was immediate. Hanji wasn't kidding when she said this stuff reeked of skunk. "This will burn you if you touch it."

"I don't mind, s-so can I come over there?" He was shifting from foot to foot now, like it took a tremendous amount of effort to remain rooted to the spot he was in. I knew that it did, and a small part of me enjoyed that he was giving me this level of control over him. No other alpha would do that. "Levi?"

"If you try anything, I will not hesitate to spray this shit down your throat. Do you understand me?"

"I won't try anything," he said right away.

I had to keep reminding myself that this was the only way to get to Hanji without running into problems, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't dampen the fear that made me want to bolt in the opposite direction. Once I gave him permission to come over here, would he be able to stay in control of himself long enough to get me to the medical wing? What if he attempted to do something? I wasn't sure that I would be able to defend myself in the current state I was in, and I was all too aware that if he slipped up, even for a second, everything I'd worked for over the years would be ruined. I was putting my entire life in his hands, an alpha I hadn't even known the day before yesterday.