Back to the Past

I avoided him for the rest of the day. I changed my normal routes to class and took new ones to avoid running into anyone that was present for my screaming match with Ross. I haven't talked to him like that since our break-up five months ago. After the sixth period, I decided to stop by the bathroom to try to control my breathing. My eyes kept watering and threaten to pour out any moment. The last thing I wanted was to cry at school.

What was I going to say if my emotions took over? Am I still hurt over what happened?

The warning bell for the last period rang. I couldn't stay, I wanted to go home and lay in bed where I can cry in peace if it comes to that. 

Skipping class can't hurt.

I washed my hands and stepped back into the hallway. It was mostly empty except for a few that were rushing to their classes. I start heading towards the exit near the library where I'm sure no teacher or security guard is by it. I'm about to push the handle when I hear Marcel behind me.

"You shouldn't leave without telling someone."

I jump and turn around, he's standing a few feet away, pressed up by a wall with a giant smile on his face. My heartbeat starts to get faster as he gets closer.

"Done for the day?"

BumBumBum BumBumBum

My chest starts to feel a dull pain like something is squeezing me tight.

"Yeah, I'm not feeling too well all of a sudden so I want to lay in bed. I'll see you around?"

I turn around and push the door, letting the breeze hit me and relax my heartbeat. 

"Something's wrong, what is it?" Marcel follows me out the door to the parking lot where other students are rushing to not get caught. 

"Marcel, you're gonna get in trouble if they see you walking around. I'll see you later."

Suddenly, my arm is met with a strong hand and I'm spun to look at Marcel's vivid eyes. His thick frames hide most of it but up close, they were a green that you didn't want to look away or you'll miss it. I was speechless.

"Madison, you're not doing a good job of hiding your emotions, what is it?"

I debated on telling him, letting him know what happened months ago and my outburst from today but I didn't want to scare him away. We work together and the friendship is still new for any heavy stuff.

"It's a lot, I can tell you some other day."

"How about right now, over some ice cream? there's a shop a few streets over where we can sit down."

I hesitated but I do love ice cream whenever something inconvenient happened.

"Ok, I'll drive."

~~~~~

We were sitting at a small table outside the place. The sun was warm on my skin and a soft breeze passed by every few minutes. I decided on a chunky monkey sundae where Marcel got strawberry shortcake. I was filling my mouth with the sweet chocolate flavors until he tapped the table.

"Are you ready to talk about it?"

"You know, I didn't ask you, how was your day Marcel?"

"It was fine, avoiding talking about what's bothering you can lead to a bigger negative reaction towards yourself and your emotions."

I was stunned at his words but he did have a point. It's time to tell someone else the truth.

"You're right. Let's go back to a few months ago."