1.8

Even with a weekend to cool off, tensions were still heavy at lunch on Monday

Even with a weekend to cool off, tensions were still heavy at lunch on Monday. Ben and Ky were both still bitter. The yellow Mustang stood out enough that Ben was easy to find, and Ky had been the first one the cops had caught.

"Guess they'll be relocating next year," Ben grumbled, stabbing his fork violently into his chicken pot pie.

"Well, they're not going to hold it in the same place we got busted," Scarlet replied.

"I don't know why they kept holding it in the same place, anyways," Anya told her. "Getting caught is, like, a statistical inevitability at that point."

Hailey rested her cheek on her fist. "No one has ever gotten busted before. I wonder what tipped them off."

"Probably Asher's loud-ass bike," Ky growled.

"Or a bunch of kids hiking out there and making a bunch of noise. I don't know about you, but I'd find that pretty suspicious," Asher replied.

"You're just salty you didn't ditch in time," I added.

"You heard Dad laying into me! Of course I'm pissed," Ky snapped.

My eyes dropped to the table. It had been pretty loud. Dad reminded him over and over how dumb he had been, and how lucky he was that he wasn't in more trouble. After a solid ten minutes of screaming, there were stomping footsteps and a slamming door.

"Let's talk about something else!" Scarlet suggested, shifting the mood. "Some of the top teams are going on a group date this Saturday. Do you guys want to join us?"

She was looking at me and Asher.

"They're not dating," Ky muttered.

"Yeah, we're just friends," I added.

"You can still come if you want to," Scarlet offered. She intertwined her fingers with Ky's, which seemed to relax him a bit.

"Love to, but can't," Asher said. "Aspen and I already have plans this Saturday."

"We do?"

"Yeah. Maybe next time?"

Scarlet nodded eagerly. "Totally!"

Quietly, I said to Asher, "Plans usually work out better when both people know about them."

"Saturday night. My house. Now you know."

"I'll be there."

I risked a glance over at Ky as I took a sip of my iced tea. He wasn't looking at me, but his jaw was set.

  He wasn't looking at me, but his jaw was set