1.3

Asher Brandt wasn't known to have a large group of friends

Asher Brandt wasn't known to have a large group of friends. He spent time with maybe three people: Shane, Dylan, and whatever girl he was sleeping with at the time. He was one of those people with stories that followed him. Everyone knew things about him just by hearing his name. He never stepped foot on school property unless completely necessary. It was perfectly clear that he skipped every dance, pep rally, game, you name it. Instead, he spent his time doing whatever "hoodrat shit" encompassed, which, according to stories, included: getting so trashed he puked on a cop, selling weed from under the Art Wing stairwell, and having a threesome behind the strip mall on West King Street.

I wasn't sure how much had been embellished by the rumor mill, but the stories were enough to make me understand why Ky didn't like him.

My footsteps echoed off the high ceiling of the stairwell as I took the stairs two at a time, racing to beat James. The lower I got, the louder the rock music and boys' voices became. I was in the right place.

Rounding the corner, I found the three of them sitting on the ground together, tucked away under the cover of the steps. All three of them were watching me approach. Asher's eyebrow arched, a sly smile on his face.

"Told you guys she'd be here," he said, getting to his feet. He took a few steps toward me, towering over me enough that I almost felt intimidated.

"So, you know why I'm here, then," I forced out.

"Were you as surprised by this as me?" He pulled his card out of his pocket.

"Definitely."

"And you're here to ask me to play?"

I nodded my head. "Please don't turn down your nomination. I need you."

"Yeah, I'm used to hearing that one. Usually, it's in a context I enjoy a lot more."

"I need to play."

"Why do you need to play? Earn that validation from people who you won't even talk to a year from now?"

"Hailey Stevens got me nominated so she could watch me lose and have less competition."

"Ouch," Shane chimed in.

"Yeah, well, that's not about to happen. She's going to see just how funny it is when I win and take that crown," I promised.

"Ah, spite," Asher said. "I like it. You've piqued my interest. What's in it for me?"

That was a question I wished I had an answer to.

"I'm assuming doing it out of the kindness of your heart isn't enough," I said.

"A year of playing a game with people I don't like? That's a lot of kindness."

"What about making the pretty boys cry when you end up Prom King?"