It was dark enough for the owls to tuck in, but the stalls and booths set beyond her vibrated under the moonless night. Most people wandered from stall to stall, purchasing funnel cakes and skewered meat.

Faint music could be heard from beyond the tall gates with the occasional happy scream suddenly piercing the air. Closer to the entrance and the massive structures of the rides could be seen: a rollercoaster, a big wheel, a Helter Skelter. Below, younger children stood watching, eating their sweets and snacks.

Daisy shoved her hands in her jacket pocket, the crisp autumn air finally getting to her as she walked beside Tommy, her boots kicking up dirt as she took each step on the temporary carnival grounds.

"We'll be riding that." Tommy says, gesturing towards a ride that could've been mistaken for a medieval torture device.

"No we will not." Daisy says. Daisy was daring, but not when it came to carnival rides. If it got put together in one day— then she had about a ten percent chance of survival.

"There's Jen." Tommy says, turning the direction that they were walking towards the ticket booth, where Jen, Jo, and Kai, stood in line.

Daisy's heart beat increased as they got closer. There was no reason to be awkward. She kept telling herself. "Finally." Jen says. "We've been waiting for you guys for like ten minutes."

"Daisy had to make sure her outfit was okay." Tommy smiled, Daisy gave him a stern look. She then turns back to Jen who asked for five tickets at the booth, before she distributed them amongst everyone.

As they walked in together, Daisy and Tommy stayed side by side, same with Jen and Josette, Kai lingered behind everyone, following them wherever they went— clearly not by choice.

"Let's do this!" Josette says, gesturing towards a carnival booth focused on throwing pins at balloons. The group turned directions, approaching the booth.

"Tommy has to win Daisy a prize." Jen suggests.

Daisy snorts. "Not a problem." Tommy says, with sarcastic confidence. He hands the booth worker a dollar in exchange for three darts, and everyone take a step back as he gets in position.

"Don't embarrass yourself, now." Jen adds.

"Always so supportive, Jen." Tommy says, squinting an eye to aim the dart at the balloon he wanted to pop.

Daisy smiled faintly as she watched Tommy throw the dart forward, and right before it hit the balloon— the momentum from his throw practically dropped, and the dart fell to the ground. It was quiet for a second before Jen let out a giggle. Daisy looked at her and lightly shook her head, she didn't want Tommy to feel embarrassed. 

Tommy grabbed the next dart, focusing, aiming, and throwing it forward again, only to watch the same thing happen. It was a sensation Daisy had never seen before— there booth must've been heavily rigged.

Tommy gives the booth worker a frustrated huff, but the man didn't even seem to be paying attention. Tommy grabbed the last dart, throwing it forward for the last time. This time, the dart didn't just drop— Daisy could've sworn she watched it freeze in place for a split second before it fell to the ground.