Chapter 19 - Thoughtful

Start from the beginning

"Anniversaries are for years, you know?" I remind him and he sighs heavily.

"Party-pooper," he mumbles and I laugh. "Just go along, okay? I was saying: it's our month-versary-" I chuckle at the word, I can't help it "-and I have the right place for us to go. So, I'll pick you at home at seven. Is that okay for you?"

"Sounds good to me. How should I dress?" I question, wondering if he'll take me to some restaurant or some shopping event.

"Smart casual," he replies and I raise my eyebrows even if he can't see my expression.

"Oh, so now you know what smart casual is," I tease him and I hear him chuckle.

"Please, Belle, I can learn." I chuckle again but I don't say a thing. "Okay, I'll see you later. Have a good afternoon," he wishes me and I do the same for him.

The rest of the afternoon I keep wondering where he'll take me and I'm surprised to find myself feeling anxious when it's almost seven. It's not like I'm expecting him to take me somewhere nice or that I would enjoy instead of him, but I'm curious of what he considers appropriate to celebrate our first month together.

It is still hilarious to say that, even if it's in my head because, even for a second, it feels like we've been actually in a relationship. How silly.

At seven o'clock my home doorbell rings and when I open I find Liam dressed in skinny black trousers, white shirt with the top two buttons open, a leather jacket and black boots. His outfit actually matches mine: a grey stripped waist-high skirt that reaches my knees with a black blouse and black coat, with of course, black stilettos.

"You look amazing," he compliments, his eyes evidently scanning me from head to toe. At least he doesn't say 'hot enough' anymore.

I smile gratefully before I do the same for him. "Thank you, you also look great. So, where are you taking me?" I ask as I grab my purse to follow him to his car after closing the door. Dad hasn't arrived yet, so I left him a note and dinner ready for when he gets home. I also texted him, but he likes the notes.

"There's an inauguration of new exhibition at the Museum of London and I thought that's the kind of place you'd enjoy visiting," he explains casually and I stop abruptly, blinking quickly questioning if I heard him wrong. Is Liam Payne really taking me to a place I would enjoy?

He notices I stayed behind and turns to look at me with concern in his expression. I can only keep blinking because I'm still flabbergasted.

"Is there a problem? If you don't want to go I can take you somewhere else. You told me I should think of what the other person likes, but I don't know you that well and you look like the educated and sophisticated type so when Zayn told me he was also going to this exposition I thought you'd also like it but if you don't it's fine I-" I shake my head and take a step forward, towards him and grab his wrist softly, really touched with his action.

"I didn't even know there was an exhibition tonight," I confess. "And it sounds wonderful. I love visiting museums. It's just that I'm... surprised that you thought of this, for me."

He relaxes and I notice in that moment that he was actually nervous I wouldn't like this idea. I wonder when was the last time he actually did something for another person that wouldn't be his cup of tea. His smile comes back, slowly but surely. "I'm not a jerk all the time, you see?" he says lightly and I chuckle, looping my arm around his.

"I'm glad, it makes things easier," I agree and make him resume so we can get to the exhibition once and for all.

On our way I make him some questions about the exhibition, but he doesn't know much. He knows they are adding some new pieces and he had to pull some connections to get the invitations. By the time we arrive I'm actually bouncing on my seat and Liam has an amused smile, a bit smug because he knows he nailed it tonight.