"Is that how to clap? A round of applause!" The Principal ordered again. This time, we clapped very well. When we were done clapping, he continued.

"Laboratory, or what's your office?" He directed the question to Lydia.

"Laboratory prefect, sir."

"And what did you score?"

"230 sir."

He shook his head and went on and on like that, questioning people about their JAMB scores. When he was done, he told everyone to have their seats. I was glad he didn't ask me, though it was still withheld but still, I was glad.

"That is not even the main reason I'm here. I'm here to announce to you all that the state capital spelling bee is here already. For those who have been in this school for years now, I'm sure you already have ideas of what the competition is about." He stopped talking as people started murmuring. "Yes? Any of you want to say something, I should excuse you, or why are you murmuring?" As he said that, everywhere went silent again.

"As I was saying, this competition is different from the general state competition. The state spelling bee competition involves other classes except SSS3 and JSS3 but the state capital spelling bee competition is for just SSS3 and JSS3 class alone."

Some still murmured.

"For the past three years now, this school has always been one of the first three winners. I won't want that to change in your set. I have asked your English teacher for the best students in both classes who can spell very well and he has given me some names. By the way, just three would be representing the school. I just want to ask for your own opinions. Who are the best spellers in SSS3? Yes?"

"Me, Lilian and Demola, sir." Ella said almost immediately.

"Ahah, chill nah. Demilade nko?" Thomas said.

"Even Sarah, Lydia and Isreal sef." I heard some people say.

"Dami too sef." Someone also said.

"Enough!" The Principal ordered and everywhere went silent again. "I only asked for opinions, not for noise. You people have listed up to seven people like that and..." A phone rang.

The Principal dipped his hand in his pocket and brought out his phone. Obviously, it was his phone that rang. He excused himself. As soon as he left the class, there was noise everywhere.

"Normally, we've been saying this thing since SS1, that it's me, Lilian and Demmie that will do this competition when we get to SSS3. Now, because one newcomer joined us, everything want to scatter. I swear, it doesn't make sense." Ella exclaimed.

"Ehn, that time, no competition. But now, we already have someone that can spell better, so we have to include her." Fiyin said.

"No seh. We're complete already." Ella said again.

"You guys, calm down nah. At least, it's for the sake of the school. It's the best people among us that we're supposed to choose to go for it. If no one wants to give in, then let's do competition within ourselves, the best three will go for it." I stood up to say.

"Abeg oooh, hold it. We've decided already. It's going to be me, Demmie and Lilian. Period!"

"Normally, she knows more words since she reads dictionary most of the time." Daniel said, supporting me.

"Why is it only Demilade everyone is supporting? We sha mentioned Israel, we mentioned Dami, we mentioned Sarah, but it's only Demilade you people are supporting. It's not fair."