Hostage Situation

Everything inside of me died down. Every thought, every feeling, there was nothing. Not even fear, just unending, silent calm.

Blaise was lounging in a wine-red arm chair, a cruel little smile on his lips.

"Mommaahaha" my little girl sobbed, standing just next to his throne-like chair.

I ignored her. "What is this." Not really a question, more a demand.

Stupid to demand something of a prince, but I wasn't thinking clearly, wasn't thinking at all, except how I would get her out out out.

The prick had the audacity to sigh: "Have I not been very generous with you, Aditya? Have I not let you live quietly with your little bastard all these years? You had more time off than any other spy under my command, time that you could spend with your little bastard. I only asked for two things, obedience and loyalty. Now, it has come to my ears, that your loyalties have shifted. I didn't want to believe the reports, but the steaming gaze you and that shadow singer shared with everyone witnessing it spoke volumes. How do you expect me to react when one of my most gifted spies falls in love with the bastard son of some irrelevant Fae-Lord?" evidently that had been a real question.

"You are the love of my life Prince Blaise, there is no one that I love more than you, you are the only one that I care about, that bastard is nothing" the words tasted foul, but I made him believe, made myself believe.

But I needed time, I needed to get to Myrina, I needed to get her out. There was an open window beside Blaise, she could climb and jump out, but I needed to make her vanish first, I needed to tell her where to go.

"Not even this little brat?" he waved his hand into Myrina's direction.

"It is the part of you I love in my daughter" the answer sounded calm.

One day I would explain it to her, if I got out alive I would apologize for every single one of these lies, how I had ignored her, how I had let her cry and panic, but right now none of it mattered, as long as she lived.

"Oh, how I wish that was true" he sighed.

"My Prince, you have given me the strength to stand on my own, trusted in me, there is no one that I could love more than I love you" I had finally wound out of the guards grip without him noticing, my arms slackened at my side.

"I was merciful, wasn't I? That's why I don't understand how you could betray me like this" he shook his head, "And yet, you are lying to me."

There was nothing I could say, nothing that could convince him otherwise, nothing that wouldn't immediately out my plan.

"What is you proposed punishment, my Prince?" I inclined my head demurely.

He raised his hands: "As I understand it, your daughter has no significant gifts."

I could see it in Myrina's eyes, the defiance, she knew how much power slumbered somewhere deep inside her, all would be lost if only one word left her mouth.

As fast as I could I snapped: "None at all."

Her little forehead crinkled with irritation, but one glance and she shut down. Not a single one of the kids considered Blaise their Father, he was their prince and nothing more, especially the older ones, whose Mother's had angered Blaise on the wrong day and their children had lost a knuckle, or their whole hand for it. So Myrina clamped her mouth shut.

"Why don't we teach her how hot fire can burn" a glint of madness shimmered in the Prince's smile.

Maybe I had been wrong. Maybe Blaise actually savored the hurt of others, maybe he was that worst kind of monster.