27 - Who's Out There?

Start from the beginning

Tas and Jae stood straight. 'No, sir.' said Tas. 'They kept to their room until morning.'

'Any strange behaviour?'

'No, sir.'

'You were seen in close proximity of the subjects.'

'Sir?'

Garud feigned interest in a painting of meadows full of flowers in spring time seen from the sky, a theme reproduced in every hotel that had more than one room. It was his tactic to increase nervousness in those who wanted to keep something hidden from him. 'You had lunch at the same place, and you were playing around at the festival with family members of Avia.'

Jae exchanged a glance with Tas. 'We didn't want to arouse their suspicion by hanging around, doing nothing, sir.' Jae said. 'Refusing the request of playing a game with the kids would have looked out of place when everyone else was enjoying the festival.'

Garud hummed, then turned around and sternly watched the both of them. 'Keep a close eye on them. If they're the ones causing trouble at night, it's your wings which will be clipped.'

'Yes, sir.' they said as Garud left, and sighed in relief.

A knock on the door startled them.

They opened it for Cani. 'Hey, we were wondering if you knew more about what that inspector asked about?'

Tas shuffled a foot. 'What inspector?'

'Yours.' said Cani with a grin. 'Avia does remember how things work here.'

He sighed. 'We don't know what he knows or what he said to you. He didn't tell us anything.'

'Oh.' Cani said and wagged her tail. 'Then come with me. Maybe we can solve the mystery together.'

Tas looked at Jae, who recognised the excitement in Cani's expression and that of her waging tail, and nodded at Cani, knowing they likely had no way to refuse her. 'We'll come.'

Guy explained the situation to them, and they thought back on the day before. 'I can't think of anything.' said Jae, and Tas nodded in agreement. 'Another of your kind would surely have been noticed.'

Feli leaned forward. 'Is it possible someone from the outside could have come here to the city unnoticed and stay somewhere out of sight?'

'We monitor all tourists coming into the country, and they could only hide if someone sheltered them.' said Tas. 'It's as good as impossible for it to be anyone we don't know.'

Guy looked at Avia and she gave him a nod. 'I don't think a foreigner would have come this far unnoticed.'

'Maybe someone just played a prank.' said Mami. 'If it couldn't be someone from abroad, then it must be a native.'

'That would seem logical.' said Jae. 'We'll just have to see if anything happens again, and watch out for suspicious behaviour in the meantime.'

'Speaking of suspicious behaviour.' said Cani and laid down the map of the city on the table. 'Where are we going today?'

***

The gang arrived at the museum and the cashier looked at the group. 'Six adults?' ventured the young bird with shades of blue and green feathers. 'Today the museum is only open for couples. It's specifically for the romance exhibition.'

Cani grinned at him as she grabbed Guy's arm in hers. 'We're sort of a couple thought.' she said. 'Only all of us girls together with him.'

The bird tilted his head. 'Excuse me?'