"And now you don't even have that," she sniffles as she hands the ring back. "I think it's nice what you're doing for her, and me but," she glances at Josie's door. "I mean, I'm almost of age and I can take care of myself. You don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"Are you kidding me?" I smile. "I have wanted to marry your mum all my life. This is as much for me as it is for you. I hope you understand that, Billie?"

"You can call me Quinn," she smiles at me.

I nod. I know. That's what we had agreed on the night she was brought here, so we could avoid confusion. "I suppose I should ask you if I can marry your mother?"

Billie Quinn gives me a look only a heady young teen can manage. "She's dying. Why do you want to? I mean I get it, but it's stupid! She'll be dead by tomorrow."

Her voice wavers, and she turns away from me to wipe her eyes dry. I signal Josie to stay inside the room a moment when I see her about to exit. Give us a moment.

"I know I cannot replace your father."

She scoffs. "Don't worry, he wasn't the perfect dad he made himself out to be. I'm over it. They've been divorced for years now."

I did not know this. How could I? I've only talked to Alisha a handful of times. One of which was to reunite her with her daughter, somehow the only survivor in that cold reservoir. Severe hypothermia was their best explanation as to why she survived. Smart kid. She'd piled on the bodies around her to keep herself insulated as much as possible, and she'd used whatever rations she'd found in the bags of other students.

"I have never had a family of my own. Thought I still have time, or they were never the one, and now. "I finally admit.

"The world's dying," she volunteers.

"So, Billie Quinn Shah, as you can see, I'm doing it for me." I nod and step a little closer to her. "Question is, can you take me to be your family?"

Quinn's eyes tear up and her lips quiver.

"I'm not the best guardian, and I don't know much about teenage daughters, but I have loved your mother with all my heart and will do so till I die. Will you do me the honour of letting me fulfil her last wish, that I look after you as if you were my own?"

She doesn't answer straight away and even Josie eyes me, standing behind the young maiden. Worried.

"I won't if you don't want me to."

But then she does something I never quite expected. She throws her arms around me and shakes her head.

A piece of my heart finds it's way back to me.

"Oh!" Josie turns our embrace into a group hug, and we can't help but laugh snotty laughs of happiness.

I hold an arm out to either of them. "Shall we?"

"I love weddings!" Josie squeals beside me, hanging off my arm.

The next hour or so is a blur as Alisha and I wed in front of a celebrant and our three witnesses, Quinn, Josie and Malika, in Room 206. Her daughter helping her write the words 'I do' on the note pad.