19.1

MARVEL DISCOVERED A box of broken chalks in the debris of their house and asked his mother for permission to color the walls.

She hummed for a while, playfully posing as if she was thinking about it, then said that she preferred them vandalizing the walls in silence instead of running around, causing a ruckus.

So Marvel promised that they both would play with it in silence, and permission was granted.

Marla took her time in choosing her weapon —there were red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and purple. Her brother told her it was the colors of the rainbow.

She chose yellow and marked it as hers.

Marvel took the red one.

"What are you drawing?"

"I'm drawing the sun," Marla replied, "You?"

"Robots. Cars. Big buildings."

"I'm drawing flowers, too. By the sea."

"You can't draw the sea with that!" Marvel slapped his sister's hand, "The sea is blue, don't you remember?"

"No."

"We went to a beach once, with Mum and Dad!" Marvel sighed dramatically, "I guess you're too small to remember. I was four."

"Why can't I draw it yellow?" Marla furrowed her eyebrows. She brought her chalk back to the wall and continued drawing the pointy waves.

Marvel slapped her hand again. This time, it caused the chalk to form an unwanted line as by accident. "Here! Use blue. You can use yellow for the sand."

Marla looked menacingly at Marvel and scratched a long, yellow line through her brother's two-dimensional city.

"Marla! You ruined it!"

"You ruined mine first!"

Soon, the siblings were engaged in an intense brawl.

"Marla! Marvel!" Their mother stomped out of their bedroom, "What is this mess?! Can't you take care of your own sister? Hug it off, shake your hands and apologi—"

The door to their secret hideout burst open with a loud bang.

Marvel let his grip on Marla's hair go and they paused the catfight.

She wiped her teary eyes with the back of her hands. Now with a clearer vision, she could see the figure of a sweaty, panting boy.

It was one of the two neighbour brothers she talked about before. The younger, fatter, and weepier one. He was a year older than her while his brother introduced himself as five years older than Marvel.

Marla stood up, still sniffling.

"Why are you here?" Marvel asked.

The boy hurriedly ran down the stairs. He reached Marla's mother and cried, "Ma'am, Gabe told me to go here. They got us. They wanted to take me with them."