04

"WAIT A SECOND," Teresa interjected, "Is this going to take away whatever's in there that lets you control us, too?"

Rat Man affirmed the said statement, "Correct."

Murmurs broke once again throughout the room. Over them, Teresa continued with a louder voice, "And what about..."

She faltered and looked at Thomas.

"Everything's going to be out of there," Rat Man nodded, "Except the tiny device that allows us to map your killzone patterns. And you didn't have to say what you're thinking because I can see it in your eyes —no, you and Thomas and Aris won't be able to do your little trick anymore. You'll have your long-term memory restored, and we won't be able to manipulate your minds. It's a package deal, I'm afraid. Take it or leave it."

"That's a no-brainer," Frypan suddenly said, "Get it? No-brainer?"

The only response he got was a groan or two.

"If you don't want to remove the Swipe, don't do it. You can stand by and watch the others."

Rat Man stepped away off the stage and walked towards the door at the back of the room. When he reached it, he turned to face the group again. "You really want to spend the rest of your lives having no memory of your parents? Your family and friends? You really want to lose the chance to hold on to at least the few good memories you may have had before all this began? Fine with me. But you might never have this opportunity again."

Then he dramatically exited the auditorium, like a proud attorney delivering his triumphant finale to convince the jury.

Thomas leaned in close to Minho and Newt so only his friends could hear him. "There's no way we do this. No way."

Minho squeezed Thomas' shoulder, "Amen. Even if I did trust those shanks, why would I want to remember? Look what it did to Ben and Alby."

Newt nodded, "We need to make a bloody move soon. And when we do, I'm going to knock a few heads to make myself feel better. Frank?"

Frankie considered her decision. The offer seemed like an incredibly generous deal. Remembering the first fourteen years of her life (perhaps her family, if she had one) and preventing WICKED from using her against her will again. Those constellations of stars exploding in her vision as agonizing pain took over her every sense, back when she was presumably killed by Grievers and when she wanted to save Thomas. Words she didn't want to say but did —she wouldn't feel those things again.

She looked at Reggie and found him looking right back at her. He was probably thinking about those particular moments, too.

"I want to do it."

Frankie looked at the three boys and saw them blanching at her in disbelief.

"What?!" Minho yell-whispered, "Are you shucking jacked in the head? Frankie, think about it."

"It's a pretty good deal."

"Bloody hell," Newt spatted before she could defended her opinion. His words were full of malice and hatred, Frankie couldn't trust her ears and eyes for a few seconds. "I can't believe I used to look up to your dong opinions."

The blonde boy stood up and left the room hastily. Thomas gave her a weary look before following after him.

"Minho—"

"Did you lose your senses? You're letting WICKED play around with your shucking brain."

"It was really painful, Minho."

Minho frowned. He was silent for a a few seconds as his mind recollected how crazy the Gladers were when they were stung, how Gally killed Chuck, but then he continued, "I don't trust WICKED. They're going to mess up our brain cells, I'm sure of it."