Part 6

Gina's POV

"Okay," Ashlyn says as she steps into my room, "Big Red said that Ricky said that he was here until, like, nine."

I close my book, and Ashlyn comes over to sit on my bed with me. 

"So, I've held off on asking you this yet," Ashlyn goes on, "but there's obviously something between you and Ricky, so what is it?"

What is it? That's like asking me to describe the origin of the planet in one word. There's just so much, and none of it is simple enough for even me to understand. I know there's something, but I don't yet know what. I guess that makes sense, because nobody would've guessed Earth would be made when it was still only a ball of stardust.

"I don't really know," I confess. "He offered me a ride home, and then I asked if he wanted to come in, and we just ended up hanging out the rest of the night."

"So are you guys just friends, or..."

"Um, I don't know that either. I think I kinda hope...we're not."

Ashlyn's face lights up with a grin as she squeals. 

"Ash, calm down. I don't even know how he feels about me."

"All I can tell you is that when you two were dancing together in practice, it didn't seem like it was all acting," Ashlyn says. 

That makes me smile, but it also makes me nervous, and I have to readjust how I'm sitting to bring my knees up to my chest. 

"Ashlyn, I've never done anything like this before."

"Like what?"

"Like, I've never had a boyfriend before," I explain. "I've gone on a couple dates, but nothing's ever lasted. Boys always tended to get sick of me pretty quick. I just don't know what to expect or what to do."

"Don't worry too much about all that," Ashlyn says. "You'll figure things out."

"Thanks," I respond. 

She smiles, then a moment later, stands up to go, deciding that since it's already close to eleven, we should both be getting to sleep. After finishing my nightly routine, I get into bed and set my phone down on my nightstand. I'm about to sink into slumber when I notice my screen light up, and I lift my phone to see a text.

Ricky: Hey, you still awake?

Of all the people who could be texting me this late at night, I didn't expect it to be Ricky. However, I certainly don't mind it.

Me: I'm awake. What's up?

Ricky: You said you were good at math, right?

Me: Yes.

Ricky: Any chance you'd be willing to help me out?

Me: You're doing math this late at night? Is it due tomorrow?

Ricky: No, but the other option is to ask my math teacher, and you're a little better than her.

I smile. I know beating a math teacher for favorite person isn't exactly an olympic accomplishment, but I still feel pretty satisfied. I look at the time. 11:03. I should be going to sleep. But let's be real; I'd rather text Ricky. 

Me: What's the question?

________________________________________

Ricky's POV

"Dude," Big Red says, "so what's the deal with you and Gina?"

He matches my pace in the hallway as we walk toward my locker. 

"What do you mean?" I question. 

"I mean you've been hanging out with her and talking to her and talking about her a lot lately. You haven't even mentioned Nini in, like, a week."

I haven't thought much about that. I haven't meant to be talking about Gina so much. Big Red must be exaggerating. Yeah, I guess Gina's been keeping my mind off Nini recently, but it's not like she's replaced Nini. I still like Nini just as much as ever, and I still want her back. I definitely don't want Nini thinking otherwise. I don't want anyone thinking otherwise. 

"We're friends," I say. "I just like hanging out with her."

"That's all?"

"Yes," I confirm. 

We get to my locker, but Big Red keeps walking on toward his own locker.

"Okay," he says. "I'll see you later, man."

________________________________________

"Can we take it one more time?" I ask. 

Seb nods and restarts the song on the piano. I clear my throat and prepare to sing my first line of the song "Evermore," but the second I speak, I mess up the first word by starting late. Seb stops playing as I hang my head down, feeling discouraged. 

"Ricky," Miss Jenn says, "how about you go into the theatre and practice on your own for a while while the rest of us work on Belle's opening song instead?"

"Okay," I respond. "Sorry."

"It's okay," she says. "Just go get some practice."

I nod and follow her orders, leaving the bomb shelter to go to the theatre. I pass by Gina on the way out, who gives me a nudge and a smile. 

"You'll get it," she says. 

"Thanks, Gina," I reply. 

Then Miss Jenn calls her over, and Gina gives me one last look before heading toward the piano to join the rest of the crowd of singers. I make my way into the theatre, and once I get there, I begin with the first line of the song, reading the lyrics off my phone. After a few messy runs alone, I notice someone coming out from backstage, and I look over to see Nini. 

"It's coming along," she says. 

"Yeah, I don't know," I mutter. "I can't seem to hold the high notes."

"You just need to practice," she assures me. 

"That's...what I'm doing. Uh, aren't you supposed to be practicing too?"

"The featherduster doesn't sing that song," Nini explains.

"Oh, right," I mumble. 

"I wanted to see if you were doing okay. You know, if you wanted some help, you could come over someday, and we could run through it."

I'm surprised by the offer. I kind of figured the last thing she'd want would be me around, and now I'm not sure how I feel about this. 

Seeing the look on my face, she adds, "We're friends, right? Just because we're broken up doesn't mean I can't want to help you."

"Yeah, right, of course." 

She just wants to be friends. Of course. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I should be sad, but I think part of me feels...relieved? But I do want to be more with her. I do. I just...I feel like we're changing, and maybe I just don't know how to keep up. 

"That'd be great, Nini," I say. "Thanks."

A/N: Hi. Sorry this was short. It was going to be longer, but I moved the last bit to the next chapter, because otherwise the next chapter would be weird, so yeah. Anyway, I love you all as always. Thanks for reading. Bye!