Part 2

Ricky's POV

"I just don't understand," I say. "Nini's just as talented as Gina, if not more. Why didn't she get the lead?"

Miss Jenn looks up from her computer in her office to where I'm standing on the other side of her desk. While I'm basically steaming, she just keeps her emotionless expression. She's preoccupied with whatever work drama teachers have to do on her computer while she listens to me. I don't know if I could call it listening, really. She's hearing me, but she isn't letting anything I say start a debate. To her, this is a matter of facts, not opinion. 

"Ricky, why are you the one talking to me about this?" she questions as she types on her keyboard. 

"Because I don't think you casted the right person," I argue. 

She lets out a sigh and stands up out of her chair. "Well, if Nini has a problem with it, then why don't you tell her to come talk to me herself."

She spins around and starts searching her filing cabinet for some document she needs. 

"Would you give her the role if she came and talked to you?" I ask. 

Right as she pulls out the paper she requires, she turns back and lets out a single blunt laugh. "Ha, no. Ricky, I don't cast based on who wants it most. I cast from my gut." She brings the paper back over to her desk as she mumbles, "Granted, my gut is feeling a little off today, but that's what you get when you eat a whole container of chocolate ice cream in one sitting." 

She plops down into her chair and swivels back to her computer, getting back to typing. It kind of annoys me actually. She's not taking what I'm saying seriously at all. It's like she doesn't even care. 

"What about the 'sparks' or whatever," I question. "You said you saw that with me and Nini."

"Last semester," Miss Jenn corrects me. "This time, I saw different sparks."

I furrow my brows, taken aback by that. "With me and Gina? We've spoken, like, once at a skatepark, and a few other times, but there were definitely no sparks."

"Well, my instincts said otherwise," Miss Jenn counters, "and I trust my instincts. I have faith that you two as leads will make this musical outstanding."

I can see that I'm getting nowhere, so I just let out a huff, saying, "I don't see it, but fine."

I start walking toward the open door to exit, and I'm about to pull the handle when Miss Jenn's voice makes me look back once more. 

"Ricky, honey, will you leave the door open. Thanks."

I let go of the handle and trudge on out of her office. In the hall, Big Red is there waiting for me. 

"What did she say?" he asks. 

"Gina's playing Belle," I reply. 

"Well," Big Red sighs, "maybe this is a good thing."

"Me having to pretend to fall in love with someone other than Nini? How is that a good thing?"

"Okay, first of all, this is theatre club, not real life. Your on-stage romantic interest has nothing to do with your real one. And second, maybe it will be good for you to not spend more time with Nini."

"What do you mean?"

"Look, you've been trying to get her back since September, and she isn't budging, so maybe it's time for you to cut your losses and move on."

"I'm not gonna move on," I argue. "Nini and I, we're meant to be together. I just need to get her to realize that. We've had, like, moments. I know she still loves me, and I'm not giving up. It's fate, bro."