Part 4

Ricky's POV

Okay, so I guess I was wrong about Gina. Like, really wrong. Last week, I couldn't imagine even acting with anyone other than Nini, but now I'm ballroom dancing with Gina, and to be honest, I don't mind it. I guess it's cause we talked a lot, and I got to know her more, and I don't know. She just feels like...not a threat anymore. When I hold one of her hands now and put my other hand on her waist, it kind of feels...right, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it. It's like changing a phone from dark mode to light mode. Everything's the same, but it's also so different. 

Miss Jenn claps along to the beat of the tune as Gina and I attempt to step around together in time. We keep messing up. Well, I keep messing up, but Gina and I both just laugh it off. At one point, I accidentally step on her foot, and I quickly apologize.

"Sorry, sorry."

"It's okay, Ricky," she says. "I'm pretty sure I've messed up more times than you."

I look up from our feet for a moment to respond, "I don't believe that for a second."

"Well, you've never ballroom danced before, so you wouldn't know," she says with a chuckle. 

"Hey, maybe I haven't, but I did a C+ in social dance in grade nine."

"C+," she repeats with a smile. "I'm intimidated."

I laugh along with her, still following her feet as we move around. 

"Do you remember any moves?" Gina asks. 

"I do remember this one."

I remove my arm from her waist and take her other hand. My arms raise up above my head, and Gina copies my actions, stepping underneath our arms. We both step out, sliding our wrists past each other until our hands connect again, and I pull her back in to me. We're both giggling as we come back to position with her hand on my shoulder and mine on her waist. 

"That's not the dance!" comes Miss Jenn's voice.

To be honest, I'd forgotten that we were supposed to be practicing for the play. It just felt like us having fun. 

"Sorry," Gina says to Miss Jenn. 

"That's alright," Miss Jenn responds. "It seems like we're all getting tired, so how about we take ten."

Miss Jenn spins around and goes over to talk to Carlos while everyone else goes to get water. Gina and I let go of each other, and it feels a little bare. For a second, she's just looking at me, and I'm looking at her, and then we split off without saying anything. While she heads off to join EJ, I go over to Big Red who has a curious look on his face. 

"Okay, I know I told you to give Gina a chance, but I'm kind of surprised you're that actually doing that," he says as I approach. 

"Yeah, well, she's not that bad," I respond, "like, at all."

All of a sudden, Nini's voice comes up behind me, saying, "Hey, Ricky."

I spin around, a bit surprised. "Hey, Nini. What's up?"

"Um, nothing much. I just wanted to see how you're doing with the whole lead role thing."

"I'm doing pretty good actually."

"Yeah," she says with a smile. "You and Gina seem to be getting close."

"I don't know if I'd say close," I respond. "We're...not far."

Nini nods, and someone else comes up behind her. It appears everybody wants to talk to me right now. 

"Hi, Ricky," Miss Jenn says. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

She leads me across the room, away from my friends, before turning back to me with a smile. 

"I just wanted to say you're doing a good job—I mean other than purposefully messing up the choreography—but I'm proud of you for putting your problems behind you and really embracing the role of the Beast."

"Yeah, uh, thanks," I reply. "What you suggested actually kind of worked. We hung out a bit, and it's a lot less weird."

"Of course it worked. I'm a genius," she responds proudly. Then she turns away from me and back to the rest of the room, shouting, "Okay, back to business, people!"

_________________________________________

Gina's POV

The last time I danced with a boy, I was trying to prove that I was a better dancer than him. It's kind of nice not doing that. Dancing with Ricky is easy, like breathing or walking, or anything else that just happens naturally without much thought. It feels so normal that, when Miss Jenn sends us all home for the night, I instantly miss that simplicity of dancing with him as he walks off to talk to Big Red. 

"Hey, um," Ashlyn says as I go over to her, "I'm going over to Big Red's for a bit, so I won't be coming home with you."

"That's fine," I respond. "You're not the one driving anyway."

"Oh, speaking of that," EJ says, stepping into our conversation, "I'm actually meeting Brad, Chad, and Kyle to hang out, so I won't be able to drive you home."

"Oh, well, that's okay," I say. 

"Do you want me to ask Big Red if he'll drive you first?" Ashlyn offers. 

"No, it's fine," I assure her. "I'll just take the bus."

"Okay," Ashlyn responds. "Sorry."

"Don't worry about it," I say.

Okay, so bussing home isn't my ideal method of transportation at 5:30 in the evening, but it's not that bad. The sun is barely holding off for me to get home before fully going down, which I thank it for. After gathering my things, I end up standing outside in the crisp January air, waiting for the bus to get here. I guess I could walk if I wanted to. Ashlyn's done it before. But that would take over half an hour, which would be fine if I had my bike, but EJ drove me to school today. 

I begin to regret not accepting that ride from Big Red when I feel a raindrop hit my nose. In under a minute, the one drop turns to hundreds, and I debate whether or not to go back inside, but then I realize I would probably miss the bus.

Before the rain can completely drench me, one of the cars driving by pulls over and slows to a stop in front of me. At first, I wonder if I should be running, but then the orange Volkswagen's window rolls down, and I see that it's Ricky. 

"Hey," he says. "Want a ride?"

I glance around at the rainfall and then back to him, nodding, "That would be nice. Thanks."

A/N: Sorry this was short. It's because the next one is going to be longer. Yeah. I love you. Bye!