Chapter 13: Evolution

After that fight, I honestly feel more than a little invincible. Half of me even thinks it's a good idea to go find that Kirin and fight that too, but the other half of me tries to fight that back. The blaring status effect of bloodlust is definitely affecting my thought process, and it's more than likely that if I try to pick any other fights this cockiness is going to get me killed.

First of all, I might as well go ahead and figure out what it means to be level MAX...

I look down at my level and...

Wait, why does it have a glowing blue outline?

As if it was waiting for me to spring up, another window pops up in front of my face.

Lv 12 NANAUE is ready to evolve.

...Evolve? You mean...

At level max, I get the opportunity to change my skills and abilities?

Wait a minute, doesn't that explain why the cthulhu hatchlings all had such low level caps and why, once they started getting high leveled, the cthulhu children appeared?

It means that they hit MAX level and chose the ability to evolve.

This is ground-breaking. This changes things. But first of all, what does it mean to evolve...

Something on my status flickers, and I jump.

Bloodlust has changed to Dry.

Well, I'll definitely want to get back to shore before anything else.
I turn and rush along the riverbank, heading for the sea. The need for water isn't so bad that I have to sprint the whole way, though, so I manage to finally level up my running skill a bit and make it into the ocean with a bit of water to spare.

Might as well make myself comfortable since I'm going to be trying to figure out what all this evolution stuff is about. I swim down closer to the seafloor and back into the reefs, looking for the usual cave. There are a few Nanaue already in it, though, so I start looking for others.

It strikes me, as I do this, just how many of us there are. Almost every cave is absolutely full of Nanaue, this being even more true the closer you get to the shore. I have to swim a good way before I find an empty cave. Or, at least, it looks empty. I'm not sure why there's some random pink egg in the corner, but I guess that's just a thing now. Kind of reminds me of Easter when I was a human. Speaking of... is it easter now? I think it was right around the corner when I died, but I don't remember how many days have passed...

Ah well, not really worth paying attention to now. I have bigger things to worry about.

I settle down inside and check my status again, focusing on my level so that the next window pops up again.

Lv 12 NANAUE is ready to evolve.

Yes, yes, I've already read that. Now how does it work?

As if on cue, it is replaced by another window.

Display Evolutionary options? Y/N

I select the Y option. So I get to choose my next evolution... let's see what my choices are.

The first one that comes up doesn't show me the shark's coloration, only the outline and a description. Dread Fish - A shark that has embraced death in order to gain great power. This shark is immensely powerful in magic and is thus capable of flight. Unfortunately due to its high need for water it must stay close to the sea or risk falling apart. Only available to a shark that has overcome death.

An undead option? How did I get this? Is it because I'm reincarnated?

In other words, the evolutionary options I will receive will have been heavily influenced by my skills, titles, and resistances... likely also factoring in my lifestyle up until now.