[7]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

another letter

Angeline wandered around the courtyard of Welton with nothing to do for once. The girl was used to doing extra curricular activities during the academic year, not just homework. In fact, Angeline has been a rather well known swimmer at her previous school, competing in many meets and tournaments. She had talked about this to Mr. Nolan earlier, who immediately shut that idea down. A woman had no place doing things such as sports. His words, not hers.

She spotted a tree in the middle of the courtyard, which provided a nice amount of shade. Making her way towards it, Angeline rummages through her bag, and pulls out a letter. The beautiful calligraphy was almost identical to the one she had received a couple weeks earlier. The writing was the same as well, meaning it was from the same person. Jordan.

My dearest Angeline,

I write to you in boredom, as life without you seems dull. There is no one for me to tease, no one to hold my sports gear, no one to help me with my homework. Your father and mine had their weekly meeting yesterday, talking about this and that. It was then that I was reminded of your absence, who else is supposed to distract me while words of laws and decisions float through the air? I greatly enjoyed receiving your letter, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Hope you continue to do well, you're an amazing woman.

sincerely yours,
Jordan

The letter sat in her hands like a brick. The words flew through her head as it they were perched upon a raven's wings. As nice as they seemed, something was off. Why was Jordan writing so much? He was an acquaintance, a son of a friend of her father's. Sure he was nice, and surprisingly handsome, but they only seemed to speak when their fathers met.

Angeline's pondering was interrupted by Knox standing over her sprawled body, with a large smile.

"What are you doing over here, Ang? Soccer is about to start. Thought you wanted to look at all the boys in their shorts?" The girl laughed and sat up. She held out her hand, and just as Knox latched on, she pulled him down towards the ground.

"Damn woman, give me a warning first!" The comment was ignored as she shoved the letter into the boy's hands.

"Here read this. And let me know what you think of it." The boy was silent as he skimmed the neatly written letter. As he finished, he looked up and gave the girl a small smile.

"Looks like a good old-fashioned love letter to me. I thought you told me you didn't have a boy back in New York. Cause this seems serious." Angeline snatched the letter back, and threw it back in her bag.

"That's right. I don't have a boy back in New York. That's Jordan. A son of one of my father's friends. He's been writing me since I left for school. It's kind of freaking me out." Knox's smiled faded, and was replaced with a frown. He scooted closer to the girl, and grabbed her hand.

"What do you mean it's freaking you out? He's not sending anything he shouldn't, is he?" Angeline squeezes his hand, and leaned in closer. 

"Not yet, but I fear if this goes on, he might. He was the one who sent the flowers you know, to make it seem like I had a boy back home." The girl paused and looked down. "I just don't know the game he's playing. We did hang out a lot at home, because our fathers would. But we mostly school friends you know? Like the type of people who talked in school, but not in everyday life, you know?"

She immediately shot up. "Oh God, what if he sends more flowers and other gifts of sorts? What would Steven think?" Knox laughed and let go of the girl's hand.

"I'm sure that Meeks wouldn't mind care if you got silly gifts from a boy you don't care about, especially if you continue to let him hold your books. I totally saw that, by the way. My, my, my, looks like little Ang does have a influence over men."

The girl stood up, and began to walk in the direction of the soccer fields. Knox scrambled to his feet, and followed her.

"Hey, wait up! Don't ignore me Ang, I know it's true! You like him! You love him!" The o in love was drawn out, making Angeline walk just a tad faster.

"Just be quiet Knox! Unless you want me to write to Chris and confess your undying love for her!" The teasing stopped, leaving Knox frozen in his spot.

"You wouldn't."

Angeline shot a glare back at the boy. "I totally would."

Knox shook his head, and matched his pace to the girl's. The silence hung nicely, the two listening to the small whistle of the breeze. The boy turned to look at the girl as their eyes locked on the upcoming soccer field.

"Don't worry about that guy Ang. I'm sure he doesn't compare to Meeks in shorts." Knox's giggles were cut short as Angeline elbowed the boy in the stomach. He wheezed, and stopped to catch his breath.

"Don't get caught staring!"

The sound of laughter caught the attention of the huddle of boys on the field, taking their attention from their coach. Their eyes focused on the last boy on their team running towards them, with a girl hot on his heels. Both of them seemed to be laughing, and out of breath. Meeks frowned and turned away, focusing on Mr. Keating, who held a diagram of sorts.

"How nice of you to join us Mr. Overstreet." The sarcasm was not lost on the boy.

"Sorry captain, I was just talking with Meeks's girlfriend!"

The blush on Meeks's face was dark, and the boys around him howled in laughter. He made eye contact with the girl, who was standing on the outskirts of the field, slightly out of place. She waved, and winked.

What a girl, he thought.

don't forget to comment and vote! I would appreciate some feedback!