[3]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the beginning

The first day of school was going just the way Angeline thought it would. Multitudes of boys staring at her like she was a new species of animal, causing her extreme discomfort. And although she had some friends/acquaintances to stick around, the first day is always awkward as the new kid. She and Todd shared many looks of acknowledgement as they travelled from class to class together.

As her English class rolled around, Angeline entered the classroom early. Staring at all the empty desks across the classroom, she rushed to one more towards the middle back of the class. Taking off her black headband, she placed the hairpiece on the desk behind her, trying to hold a place for Todd.

As more people filed into the classroom, Angeline watched as the seats began to fill. Her thoughts were interrupted as the sound of books hitting a desk filled her ears.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. Is it okay if I sit here?" Angeline turned to the boy in question, which happened to be Steven Meeks. She smiled and nodded her head. He smiled back and arranged his books on the desk to her right.

"Cool. Hey, you don't happen to be a whiz at English do you?" The girl turned towards the auburn-haired boy, and smirked.

"I don't know. Already trying to lay off your homework on the new girl?" The boy in question spluttered out words, and Angeline leaned in and laughed.

"Don't worry Steven. If you're half the genius everyone makes you out to be, I'm sure that I'll be one who comes begging for aid. Who knows, maybe we'll make it a weekly thing." She winked and laughed again as the boy blushed and turned away, mumbling words under his breath too soft for her to understand.

Her laughter was interrupted by her hairband making its way back into her hair. Angeline quickly spun around to find Charlie sitting in the desk behind her.

"Thanks for saving a seat for me doll." Angeline rolled her eyes and made eye contact with Todd, who walked in the door at the same time.

"Sorry," she mouthed across the room, and motioned to Charlie. Todd smiled back and shrugged.

"No worries," he mouthed back. Angeline sent another hard look towards Charlie, to which he laughed at, and turned towards the front of the class. As the class settled into their seats, everyone seemed to look around for the teacher that was not present.