[6]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

introductions are for suckers

Angeline walked into English with her head down low, with Steven at her side. The boy placed her books on her assigned desk and smiled, an action that Angeline returned. The two took their seats and focused their attention on Mr. Keating, who was in the front of the class, book in hand.

"Gentlemen, lady, open your text to page twenty-one of the introduction. Mr. Perry will you read the opening paragraph of the preface, entitled 'Understanding Poetry'?"

Neil nodded, and began to drone on about how to compare different types of poetry in a sort of graph. Angeline was bored of the analysis, that certainly wasn't how she categorized what was good and bad. Leaning against her hand, she swallowed a yawn.

"Excrement." The phrase slipped out Mr. Keating's mouth like butter. "That's what I think of J. Evans Pritchard. We're not laying pipe, we're talking about poetry." He paused and surveyed the room, looking at each student. "I want you to rip that page out."

Angeline looked around the room in confusion. Surely he didn't mean that, after all, these books were property of the school. The only thing ripping the pages out would do is cause more textbook fees.

"Go on, rip out the entire page. You heard me, rip it out! Rip it out!"

Angeline and Todd shared a look from across the room. Shrugging her shoulders, Angeline slammed the book on the desk, and forcefully ripped the page out. Charlie followed soon after. Meeks threw her an incredulous look.

"Thank you Miss Scott and Mr. Dalton. Tell you what, don't just tear out that one page, tear out the entire introduction. I want it gone, history. Leave nothing of it. Rip it out. Rip! Begone J. Evans Pritchard Ph.D. Rip, shred, tear. Rip it out. I want to hear nothing but ripping of Mr. Pritchard."

Angeline turned around to Charlie, who was leisurely ripping out pages. In one fell swoop, Angeline ripped out all the pages of the introduction at once, leaving a small stack of papers in her hand. She then turned to Meeks, who stared down at his book.

"C'mon Steven, don't sit there looking pretty!Do it! Rip it out!" They make eye contact, and the boy begins to rip out the pages one by one. "There we go!"