Chapter 3

"You busy?"

I turned around from my desk chair to see Sarah standing in the door way to my office, her familiar evil grin plastered onto her face. I sighed, wondering what it was she was plotting against me at this very moment.

"Yes, Sarah. You know I'm busy. You were standing right there when Ms. Madison gave me instructions to go ahead and take her place at the video conference with Besheta. Do you need something? I only have five minutes until I have to login for the conference."

"No...I was just wondering..." She squinted her eyes at me and I turned back to my computer screen. I had to focus on makng sure this meeting went as planned; I couldn't waste time focusing on Sarah and whatever trouble she wanted to cause. As I began to go through my desk, getting out the paper copy of the printed business plans I needed to go over with Besheta, I heard Sarah's heels clicking on my floor. 

"Sarah, I don't mean to be rude, but what are you still doing here?" My eyes stayed glued to the work in front of me, but my ears could pick up Sarah's light breathing, and I could tell she was moving across the room and towards my desk.

"Oh hush, Romeo. I'm just finding ways to preoccupy myself as I wait for you to screw something up again." I logged onto Skype, it now being only four minutes until the automatic video conference would begin.

"What's this?" I finally looked back at Sarah, seeing her near a bookshelf on the wall behind my desk. She held a snowglobe in her left hand, the red talons of her right hand slowly caressing the words engraved at the bottom. " 'Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind - Shakespeare'. Wow you really are Romeo." She chuckled lightly, her eyes being filled with more humor than she was letting on. She was up to something. I could tell. "Why do you own this?"

"...I got it at a book store when I was eight. I liked reading Shakespeare back then...Sarah, you DO realize that I'm going to have a conference in about three minutes right?" She looked down, chuckling before responding.

"Yes, silly. You act like I'm stupid or something." She turned around and placed the snowglobe back on the shelf. "Geez, some people are just so rude..."

"Sarah, I really don't want to be mean but you have to leave. This isn't your conference, and you know as well as I do that Ms. Madison is already stressed out enough. I want this to go as smoothly as possible, so whatever you're plotting, please save it for another day." I turned back towards my computer screen, trying to collect my focus and block out Sarah.

"Plotting? What makes you think I'm plotting something?" I refused to turn around and acknkowledge her question. "Romeo, look at me when I'm speaking." I stared at the screen, still refusing to look her way. Maybe if I pretend she's not there, she'll just go away. "Romeo? Romeo? Where for art thou Romeo?....David?....DAVID!" 

"I'm sure you can find some other way of preoccupying your time that doesn't involve harassing me. Please," I turned around in my chair to face her. "Stop whatever you're doing until after this meeting is done." She took a deep sigh as she slowly walked towards me. 

"Alright. I won't do anything evil and caniving until after the meeting..." She smirked at me as I began to turn back towards the desk, but she stopped me before I could scoot in. "Wait, what's that under your desk?"

Two minutes.

"What's what? There's nothing under my desk." I looked at the floor to find nothing but my faint reflection staring back at me from the shinning, freshly waxed hard-wood. 

"You don't see that?" She pointed to the further right corner of my desk, but there was nothing visibly there, at least nothing that I could see.

"Sarah, there's nothing there. I promise yo-"