Chapter 1

"That'll be twelve-ninety-eight, please." The cashier held out her right hand that had been previously twirling a red strand of hair, and smiled at me, waiting patiently for me to hand her the money.

"Wait, what?" That couldn't be right. I have gotten this same order everyday for the past two-and-a-half years, and never has it been twelve-ninety-eight. Nine-fifty-two. It has always been nine-fifty-two.

"Your total is twelve-ninety-eight, sir." She now took the same hand she had been holding out and placed it on top of my hand that had been resting on the counter. "Is there a problem?"

"...Well, sort of. I've always gotten this order and it has never been that price. I'm running short on time for work and I only brought exact change. I'm short by three dollars and forty six cents." I glanced up at the clock. 7:53. Crap.

"Well, I have you down for one tall, non-fat latte with caramel and one triple venti, soy, no-foam, tall latte with chocolate and the total came to twelve-ninety-eight. However..." the cashier leaned forward, exposing her barely-existing cleavage while sliding her hand up my arm, "I'm sure I can make an exception." She winked at me before clicking a few buttons on her register and making my order on the house. I thought about offering to at least pay what I had, but I decided against it when I glanced up and saw the cashier, as well as one of her co-workers, staring at my crotch. I walked over to grab a cup holder, straws, and some napkins before hearing the cashier call after me.

"Excuse me, sir! Sir!" I turned around and ran smack into her, not realizing that she had been right behind me. 

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" I placed a hand on her shoulder and checked her face to make sure I hadn't hurt her, but I soon realized that was a mistake. She licked her lips seductively at me and giggled. I instantly let go of her and stepped back.

"I'm fine." She was back to twirling her hair again. "I just wanted to know your name."

"What?..Oh, right. For the cups."

"Or for other reasons." 

"Oh....Uhm, well can you make out the triple venti for me, so 'David', and then the non-fat latte for..."

The cashier had reached out and taken hold of my hand, stepping so close as to barely have space for air to pass between us. 

"And the non-fat latte for who?" She cood sweetly.

"...for... 'The beloved Elizabeth'....my...wife...?" The cashier suddenly backed away from me, a look of disappointment on her face, and I began to feel a pang of guilt for having lied to her about being married. But can you really blame me?

"Two lattes coming right up." She said bitterly, stomping back to her place behind the counter and practically throwing the cups at the co-worker who was still eyeing me down. I glanced up at the clock again. 7:55. Just fantastic.

________

I ran frantically through the crowded sidewalks, having less than two blocks before I made it to my destination. I made sure to ditch the cup-holder in Starbucks, now just carefully grasping onto the cups as I made my way to the large building that was MADISON & CO., New York's top business corporation for music production and management. I had to thwart off the too-friendly cashier's friend when trying to retreive my orders, which made me unable to leave the place until 7:59. Work officially began at 8, but I should've been there half-an-hour earlier. I had woken up late, having had to work a late night in the office yesterday, and I was hoping and praying I could make it to Ms.Madison's office before she did. Please be late today, please Ms.Madison, just for once in your life, be anything but on time .