Chapter 8

"...and that's when I said 'Look darling, if you want to keep spending so much money, you're going to have to let me go golfing more often! How about you get a grand for every hour I have on the course?!'"

The laughter that surrounded me seemed extremely odd. I had been stuck being tossed from conversation to conversation with rich relatives and family-friends of David for the last hour. Even as a CEO of a major music company, I had never had such an experience of bland conversation. Literally every single group of people I've had to talk to tonight went through the same exact cycle of topics:

-Introducing themselves and telling me how lucky I am to be engaged to David, before listing five-minutes worth of his best traits

-Asking me why I'm dressed the way I am for a dinner party (I refused to wear a dress - I'm sticking to the tight bun, business suit, and overload of makeup. I feel more secure that way).

-Spending an additional ten minutes talking about their money or businesses and telling "jokes" that aren't really all that funny and/or laughing at the un-funny jokes of their rich counterparts

Where in the world is David? I hadn't seen him at all since the party began, once his evil sister literally snatched him away from me and walked him to go greet others. I was immediately whisked away by Adelina, and she introduced me to a large number of people, whose names I have pretty much forgotten already. I was more astounded by how beautiful the party set-up was.

Adelina had a team set up for the dinner party in her backyard. There was a huge tennis court, patio, and pool area in the back of the house, and it was completely revamped. The pool had beautiful crystal lanterns floating in it, the pool area being decked with crystallized streamers and more lanterns hanging all around. There was a stage set up in this area, with a chamber orchestra playing soothing classical music. Caterers walked around, handing out petite goodies for the guests to snack on until dinner time. The patio area was set up similarly, but it was far enough from the pool that a DJ could be set up here. The DJ was playing light music with a bit of Spanish flare, enough to dance to without being obnoxious. The patio was filled with a mix of couples dancing and groups of people catching up with one another. I was stuck by the pool area, with a group of wealthy middle-aged people who claimed to be good friends with David's father, and I kept reminding myself to nod and smile every now and then as to seem as though I was paying attention to the conversation. The tennis court was surrounded by a tent, so no one was able to see its contents yet, however Adelina told me that was where she had the dinner set up.

I peered down at the small rose-gold watch on my wrist. 8:47. 13 more minutes until dinner. Maybe then I'll be saved by David.

"And so are you planning on partnering with David's father, now that you'll be family and all?" The man that was speaking looked directly at me with this question, and it caught me off guard. Partnering with his father?

"I'm sorry? What do you mean?" I tried to not seem too lost. I didn't want it to seem as though I didn't know much about David's family (which I didn't).

"His father's record label? Silverton?"

Silverton?? What? David's father is the owner of Silverton?! HOW AM I JUST NOW FINDING THIS OUT?!!!

I tried to hide the complete shock that came over me.

"....Uhm, I'm not too sure....uh..we haven't really discussed the matter. At all really."

How could David not mention this? Silverton is a very successful Cali-label, one that I had been a fan of since the moment I learned of its existence. Why wouldn't he have mentioned that at all? He would have immediately gotten a better job than being an assistant to my father if he would've told him that when he had gotten hired. And if he did tell my dad, why hadn't I heard anything about it?! That was my dream before everything happened.