03 - camden is selfless

Camden sighs deeply, pulling open the fridge door in hopes of finding something edible but her aunt Georgina hadn't gone grocery shopping yet and so the options were scarce

Camden sighs deeply, pulling open the fridge door in hopes of finding something edible but her aunt Georgina hadn't gone grocery shopping yet and so the options were scarce. A styrofoam container of butter chicken from the night before, one banana, half a dozen eggs, half a carton of milk and a tub of yoghurt remained in the fridge. 

The Sawyer family began to change their weekly trips to the grocery store to fortnightly ones when the bills began to pile up the previous few months. Camden and Joan offered to get jobs but were shot down quick by the older lady for she refused to place further stress on the two seniors.

Camden felt the familiar coil of guilt in her gut as while her cousin had yet to turn eighteen, she was nineteen and still in high school without a job to help repay her aunt. 

She had brought up the subject of her getting a job after her sixteenth birthday and her aunt had so vehemently rejected the idea that Camden feared she had insulted her by insinuating her aunt couldn't cope on her own. She hadn't meant to be so forthcoming in her concern for their financial stability but when Camden spoke up, she was forward and to the point. 

She would never understand her aunt's bruised ego for her simply stating the truth. 

The ding of the fridge door shook her from her thoughts and she cracked her neck in contemplation. 

"How does an omelet and fruit salad sound for breakfast?" Camden called over her shoulder to her cousin Joan who resided at the kitchen island.

"Sounds like a plan," Joan's soft spoken voice grins over the newspaper and Camden clenches her jaw to hold back a jealous remark. Her voice was once like that.

"Has Gina left for the station yet?" Camden pulls out the egg and milk cartons from the fridge, letting the door slam shut on its own accord. 

"No, Charlie checked in on the station before he left for the day. Mum's heading over soon though, she'll have time for breakfast," Joan nods, understanding what Camden meant.

Camden doesn't choose to respond, her focus now on whisking the remaining eggs in a bowl alongside a generous splash of milk. Camden pours a third of the mixture into the pan with a teaspoon of butter. She turns the heat up slightly and glances at her cousin's reflection in the mirror above the stove.

Joan is sitting ram rod straight at the kitchen island, her tawny coloured hands grasping the grey paper, flipping the page with an excited giggle as she finds the comic strips. Camden smiles to herself at the childlike grin on her cousin's face as she pushes her straight black hair behind her ear. 

"The eggs are gonna burn, Cammie," her aunt's amused voice rings out across the kitchen as her figure walks through the doorway. 

Her aunt shares the same straight hair as Joan, however her eyes, those she shared with Georgina's brother and Camden's father. She always thought her brown eyes were inherited from Anita but during her hospitalisation, Georgina had sat beside her bed with identical eyes that proved otherwise.