(3) career day

★★★★★★★★★★

★★★★★★★★★★

"Okay, c'mon, Peter. You can do this." Peter breathed out to himself. He was alone, pacing anxiously outside of Mr. Stark's lab. He bit his lip, not having the courage just yet to go inside and talk to Tony.

Peter had gotten to the point where he was hardly nervous to be around Tony, yet on this particular day he was filled with overwhelming anxiety.

"Yo! What's good, Mr. Stark!—No, no, that sucks." Peter cut himself off, trying to rehearse what he was going to say, but hating all of the words that came out of his mouth. He ran a hand through his hair with his sweaty palm, trying to take a deep breath. "Hi, Mr. Stark—Hey, Mr. Stark, do you want to come with me to my career day?" Peter finally got out, nodding at how that sounded.

He took a step forward, so he was visible to Tony from inside the lab through the glass door. Peter panicked when the older man locked eyes with him and gestured for him to enter.

"Hey, kid." He greeted, smiling slightly and looking up from his holographic computer screen.

"Hey, Mr. Stark, uh—"

"Friday told me you got here over five minutes ago." He furrowed his eyebrows at the teen, noticing his restless body language. "You get lost again?" He teased, although there was some seriousness to his asking.

"No-uh-yes. I don't—What are you working on?" Peter stammered, stepping into the lab further and putting his backpack down where he usually did. He desperately tried to distract himself from what he was about to ask of Mr. Stark.

"I want you to know that was a terrible attempt at a subject change, but I'll cut you some slack and go along with it for now." Tony pointed at the teen, watching his eyes widen comically. "It's a project Pepper is making me look into. Nothing fun or radioactive at the moment." He complained, paying more attention to Peter's dazed expression than the words he was was speaking. "I don't know why I'm still talking, you might as well be on Mars right now."

Peter's head snapped up at that, realizing he was doing a terrible job hiding his nerves. He hadn't listened to a word Tony had said, preoccupied by all the possible reactions Tony could have to this invitation: what if Tony thought it was weird, what if he was angry, what if he laughed and told him how stupid career days were.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Stark. I'm just—I just wanted to..." He trailed off with a wince at his inability to speak.

"Peter, I thought we got through this whole..." He paused for a moment "Nervous phase." He gestured vaguely to Peter's tense body language.

"Sor–"

"Don't. Just tell me what you wanted to, kiddo." He cut Peter's unnecessary apology off.