Chapter Seven: Attachment

The first thing Ahsoka did when she got up in the morning was to turn on the holocaster, a habit she'd picked up from May in the last few months even though Ahsoka was as interested in hearing Imperial propaganda now as she was then. But she turned it on anyway whenever she'd spent the night at May's home or vice versa, part of the morning background. After catching a piece of what was on the news, Ahsoka wished she hadn't.

"Ugh," May said as she came into the room. "He's at it again. This isn't peace and security. This is state-sponsored terrorism."

While Ahsoka went to start breakfast, May sat in front of the holocaster and turned up the volume, making it impossible for Ahsoka to tune out. The more she heard about Darth Vader and his fleet quelling the violent insurgency that had erupted on Ryloth a couple of weeks ago, the more Ahsoka's heart sank. There was a time the person quelling the revolt would have been the one on the ground helping the Twi'lek dominated planet take their world back and fight for their independence from the Empire in league with the Hutts to exploit them. Of course, that's not how the news reported it, characterizing the freedom fighters as violent terrorists trying to take advantage of and undermine the benevolent Empire that had allowed it to keep its independence and amiably trade resources.

"I can't stand that... thing. What even is Darth Vader? Someone has to do something about them," May declared.

"May," Ahsoka said, not in the mood to hear this diatribe.

"Oh, come on. Everyone's thinking it. There's no way you actually sympathize with the Empire. This isn't what you were fighting for during the war."

"No. I don't sympathize with the Empire," Ahsoka said firmly. It was Darth Vader that, much to her horror, she was starting to sympathize with. "And it's not what I was fighting for during the war. But look where it got us. We were all in over our heads. And so are you by even thinking about doing anything."

"The only reason they can do this to us is because people are scared to stand together and fight back. The Empire can't quell insurgencies on hundreds of thousands of systems at the same time."

"The only way that works is if you have enough of those hundreds of thousands of systems willing to risk destruction so that the others can win. And quite honestly, most people just want to keep their head down and hope to the Force that they don't inadvertently do something that will make the Empire notice."

"Like you?" May asked.

"Like you should," Ahsoka shot back. "You're lucky. You've got a son to raise, and the Empire doesn't care about this world. No one here cares about the Empire. Don't ruin it for yourself."

"But that's exactly why we can help. I overheard some of the traders and smugglers talking. There are whispers of a rebellion."

"There are rebellions happening everywhere."

"Not just small pockets, but whispers of a real one. And a possible alliance. Maybe we can ask around. Get in touch with them..."

"That is the absolute last thing we're going to do," Ahsoka argued.

"I thought you of all people would understand."

"I do. And if it were just my neck on the line, absolutely. But it's not. It's the twins. It's your son. The best thing we can do for them right now is stay out of it and let everyone else sort it out."

"You mean the elite who see this as no more than a power grab? Who are so out of touch with the people they claim to speak for and got us in this mess in the first place?" May asked pointedly. Ahsoka, admittedly, couldn't argue with that one. "And that's just it. The twins. Tariq. Is this the galaxy we want them to have to inherit and navigate? The same reasons you think we should stay out of it are the same reasons we should get involved."