7: Enigma

Chapter 7: Enigma

The weekend passed by like a blur, and next thing I knew, I was back in school. To whoever divided the week into 5 weekdays, and 2 weekends, just want you to know that a lot of people hate you.

As usual, I spent my weekend watching my shows, and chatting with my girls.

Audrey, Kelly, and I were by my locker as I took out the things I needed for the day.

"Oh look, she's back," Audrey said disdainfully. She could only be talking about one person.

I closed my locker, and followed their gazes. It landed on Peyton and Brianna, whom were talking and laughing with the rest of their friends. As I looked at Brianna, I suddenly remembered about her conversation with Troy in the hallway. She looked nothing like the almost broken girl I saw a few days ago, when Troy broke whatever they had going on. Maybe she was putting on a façade, but who knows.

"Yeah, why was she absent anyway?" I asked, remembering that I didn't see her in AP Chemistry. 

"Something about her mother arriving from New York, and spending some quality time, and what not," she said, and rolled her eyes.

"How do you even know that?" Kelly asked.

"She posted it on Facebook," she said in a 'duh' tone.

"Enough about her. So, did you witness any Troy Creston 6-pack nakedness today?" Audrey wiggled her eyebrows, making Kelly and I laugh. I had told them over video chat about everything that happened that related to Troy and Alec. We had almost video chatted for 6 hours. I swear, we could talk like reporters.

“I don’t go snooping at his room all day,” I informed my overzealous best friend.

"You stupid girl. God gave you a chance to witness such divine beauty, and you're not even seizing this opportunity!" Audrey said, mock scolding me.  I rolled my eyes.

“I can’t believe you sassed him out though.” Kelly laughed.

“He was being an ass.”

The warning bell rang, signalling that classes will start in 10 minutes. 

"See you guys at lunch," Audrey said and waved as she left for her first class, which was on the opposite way to where Kelly and I were going. We waved back, and walked our own way.

Once we reached Kelly’s classroom, she bade me farewell, and headed inside.

I continued walking and finally reached my classroom for the period. When I opened the door, more than half of the class were already there. I took my usual sit in the middle of the room, and took out my assignment. As I was rechecking if I had missed anything, a voice I was starting to get acquainted to, said, "Well, hello there, neighbour."

"Hello to you too, " I greeted briefly, and went back to my work.

The chair beside me was pulled out. I raised a brow at him when he sat beside me.

"That's not your chair," I stated the obvious.

"It's a free country," he answered cheekily, and made himself comfortable. He placed his elbow on table, and put his chin on his palm as he observed –more like stared—at me. I was growing uncomfortable under his gaze. I didn’t like being stared at, especially at this distance. I felt exposed, like he could see every little thing about me, which made me very self-conscious.

"You know, Ms. Carmichael told us that we should get to know each other since you are my leading lady."

People were staring at us. They must have been wondering why he was talking to me.