*The Only Way is Down*

Start from the beginning

Axel was still on the floor, equally as dazed and shaken, and I quickly kneeled next to him.

"Oh, lord, Axel, I'm so sorry!" I blurted, helping my friend to his feet. He blinked away the disorientation and shook his head, offering me a wan smile.

"Don't worry about it; I was looking for you, actually."

I sighed in relief. "So was I," I said softly.

"I just wanted to apologise." The words were spoken in unison, and he chuckled softly.

"I shouldn't have snapped at you; I know it wasn't your fault."

I shook my head; jaw set in determination. "No, I've been really selfish. I didn't think that you might have to go through exactly the same; you might loose someone precious. I just... didn't think. And then there's Azela... she has nobody. I was so wrapped up in my own problems that I didn't think about those around me... the only people who could help me unravel this mess. I'm sorry, Axel. I really am."

His face was solemn, but his eyes held a thoughtful glint. He smiled thinly, and abruptly held out a hand.

"I understand, Rowan. And I forgive you," he said after a pause, wiggling his hand in front of my face.

I grinned, knocking his wrist out of the way, and quickly embraced him.

He chuckled and patted my back awkwardly.

"So, update me," he said, colour returning to his cheeks.

"We're almost ready to leave; Thomas is finishing up with the weapons; everyone else is gathering supplies; I think Newt was supposed to be sorting out some gladers who're refusing to join us." I said the latter part with a hard edge to my tone, and Axel's eyebrow arched.

"Supposed to?"

I sheepishly gestured behind me. "I heard him with Alyssa. Talking about me," I said calmly, though my nostrils flared as I spat her name.

Axel nodded slowly. "Alyssa being..." he asked uncertainly, almost reluctantly.

"A piece of klunk," I muttered, and he smirked.

"I understand."

"We'd better go see what's going on," Axel suggested, and we both turned to go back to the glade. But none of us took a step forward as Newt's ghostly pale face appeared through the trees, and Alyssa trailed behind like a haunting apparition.

"Oh, hey," he said uncertainly, eyebrows furrowing.

"Hi," I replied in a strangled voice. My gaze briefly flickered to his lingering girlfriend, and she shot me a cold glare.

"What're you doing out here?" He inquired, suspicion lacing his tone.

"She was looking for me," Axel replied coolly, and I could feel the tension radiating off both. Newt was obviously suspicious of Axel; Axel must be angry at Newt for being too distracted.

It's not his fault; don't be too harsh.

His shoulders softened. I know. I'm sorry.

"Have you sorted out those shanks who didn't agree to join us?" I asked with an arched brow.

His face contorted into something of a pained expression. "Shuck."

My eyes widened; a shout rang through the air, loud and clear, somewhat in unison with Newt's exclamation.

Axel and I took off without hesitation, and Newt and Alyssa followed behind reluctantly.

That damn shank had been too distracted by his girlfriend. Now there was the possibility of something of an uproar. If they get hold of our weapons...

We emerged into the Glade to see Alby and Thomas trying to calm down Gally and his fellow builders. Winston was trying to wrestle a spear from one of the stubby guys, and almost had his face punched by the butt of the stick.

"Alright, just calm the shuck down!" Alby ordered in a rumbling voice. "We'll sort this out, alright?"

Gally glared at me as I paused behind Alby, and a smirk curved his lips. "There's nothing to sort out; this shuck-face here and her little friends are liars. They're probably part of WICKED; they're just leading us into another trap," he stated, clenching his fists. "You lot can go get your sorry butts kicked, see if I shucking care, but we're staying here, and that's final."

Then he spat at Alby, before stalking off into the direction of the Building site, his associates loitering behind him like lost sheep.

"Fine," Alby said quietly. "Stay here and rot." Then he turned to me, his face grim. "Looks like we're finally getting the shuck out of here. I suppose the only way is down."