(viii) i hate coffee dark and bitter, it's just like my life without you

"Hey, wait!" Rantaro says, pouting. "She promised to go get coffee with me after school today!"

Akane tilts her her and looks at you with large eyes. Until now, you really haven't been embarrassed by Rantaro's clingy behaviour, but for some reason, you find yourself sheepishly looking away. Akane giggles softly behind the palm of hers hand, and you catch yourself thinking just how cute that was.

"Ah," you say, mostly muttering. "But I did promise Rantaro that I'd get coffee with him."

"That's alright," she says, waving you off. "I wouldn't want to be clingy. Rain check?"

You smile at her and nod enthusiastically before being unceremoniously dragged away by Rantaro. He's especially motivated to get you out of here, you wonder why he's so enthusiastic about coffee all of a sudden. You realise he hasn't had any sugar in a while, and he's probably running low. How he maintains his pretty figure while never exercising and only eating sugar is a mystery and a miracle. A miracle, or just a lot of luck.

He doesn't seem to be willing to let go of your hand any time soon, practically sprinting through the school gates and down the sidewalk. You jog as he pulls you, unwilling to keep up with him because it's the end of the day and you're kind of tired.

Rantaro practically throws open the shop doors before drilling inside and flopping down on one of the couches. You sit down in the seat across him, resting your head on the table. It had been a long day, and you are most definitely mentally exhausted.

The two of you sit there in your booth seat, tired and quiet. Rantaro relents first.

"God," he sighs. "Well, that was an unexpected turn of events."

"A nice one," you add, smiling softly. "She's really sweet."

Rantaro scrunches up his nose. "She was kinda mean, though."

"Nah," you say, raising a finger to poke his nose. "You're just jealous because you got rejected."

"I am not jealous of you," Rantaro says, pouting. "I'm jealous of her, it's not fair."

"No way," you say, giggling. "You're such a baby. It doesn't change the fact that we're friends."

"That's not what I'm worried about," Rantaro mumbles into his hands.

"Oh, really," you say, sleepily rubbing your eyes. "I'm going to take a quick nap, then."

"Eh!" Rantaro exclaims.

You shush him, moving closer, close enough to rest your head on his shoulder. He stiffens, but you don't really mind, instead opting to make yourself comfortable by curling yourself into a ball.

"I'm sleepy," you mumble into his arm. "People are tiring."

Rantaro isn't really sure what to say to that, and is quite thankful when you promptly pass out afterwards. He gently wraps his arm around you, tentatively resting it on your shoulder, before shrugging off his jacket and placing it on you. He tucks the extra material under your chin and smiles to himself at the adorable image. He's almost tempted to take a picture of you.

Who is he kidding? He's already taken five. And sent them to his printer's queue. And figured out the frames he wants to put them in. He thinks a wash of holographic heart-shaped glitter might make them cooler, too.

Rantaro uses both his hands to slap his cheeks rather hard, creating an audible clap to ward away impure thoughts. His cheeks are red, but it's worth it! He's cleansed his thoughts.

He runs his hands through your hair, enjoying the way it brushes past his hand, savouring every light touch. He lets himself get lost in thoughts of you for a few minutes, before deciding to order coffee for the two of you, thinking it'd be a neat surprise.