Behind the door

One 13-year-old girl lived alone with her father. Her mother died four months ago, and her father moved to a new house. The girl missed the old house, but even more she missed her mother. She did not want to move, but her father insisted, because he wanted to start a new life.  

The old house had too many sad memories. They’ve only been in the new house for ten days and the girl did not have time to make new friends yet.  

One night, the girl's father came out of his room, dressed in a very fancy suit. In his left hand he was holding a briefcase.  

- Dad, where are you going? - Asked the girl.  

- I have a business meeting today, dear, - he said, spraying himself with cologne. - I'd better hurry. I'm already late. 

The girl got upset.  

- So I’m going to be here all alone? - She asked.  

Father nodded.  

- Just for a couple of hours. This meeting is very important to me. I could not cancel it. Everything will be fine. After all, it's just one night, isn’t it?  

The girl was not afraid to stay home alone, she simply wasn’t feeling comfortable in a new house. But she did not want her father to lose his job because of her childish fears.  

- Don’t worry, Dad, - she said cheerfully. - Everything will be fine.  

- Well, good - he said. - I'll be back around ten or eleven o'clock. Although I know that you know, but I don’t want you opening the door to strangers. Look through the peephole before opening the door. I have a key to the door, so you don’t have to open it even to me.  

The girl nodded. Father kissed her on a cheek, and then ran out of the house.  

When he left, the girl began feeling uncomfortable and began to get nervous. It's that same feeling that every person experienced in their life, when they had to stay home alone. To get her mind off of it, she took from her pocket a mobile phone and called her girlfriend, which used to live next door to the old house. Conversations with friends always comforted her. Her nerves calmed down and she began telling her girlfriend about her new school. 

In about half an hour her friend had to leave. The girl hung up the phone, and now she now felt much better. She made herself dinner and ate it. Then she read some fun magazines, took a shower, sat down at the computer and browsed the Internet. 

It was about 8 pm when she heard a knock on the door. Assuming that it was her father, the girl jumped up from her chair and ran to the door. She was already preparing to hug him when he comes in, but suddenly she remembered his warning. She looked through the peephole and of course she saw her father. The girl grabbed the doorknob, but then she hesitated. Why did dad come back so soon? He said that he will not be back before ten. 

The girl looked through the peephole again and chill ran down her spine. Her father had a strange smile on his face. It was strikingly different from his usual smile. He was smiling from ear to ear. It was not a human smile. 

- Dad, is that you? - Asked the girl.  

The man behind the door looked exactly like her father, but she felt that something about him was not right.  

- Yes, honey, it's me, - he said.  

The girl still hesitated.  

- Well, if it's you, then you can open the door with your own key, right? - She said.  

Still looking through the peephole, the girl saw how the smile disappeared from the face of her father.  

- I must have lost it - he growled. – Can’t you just open the damn door? 

The girl knew something was very wrong. Her father never cursed before. With trembling hands she took out her cell phone and sent a text message to her father’s number to validate her concerns.  

- Hey, Dad, what are you doing? - She wrote.  

The girl pressed her phone tightly in her hands, when a man behind the door started angrily knocking on it. In a minute her phone rang. She got a text message from her father.  

- I can’t talk now. Still at the meeting. 

The girl started shaking. Every muscle in her body got tense. If her father is still at the meeting, then who is at the front door? She continued looking through the peephole. Now her father or someone else was frowning and looking very angry. 

- Y-you are not my father - she yelled.  

- No, it's me! - There was an angry response. - Now open the door immediately, until I knocked the crap out of you!  

The girl was finally convinced that the person behind the door was not her father. Even though he looked exactly like him, he was behaving quite differently.  

- Who are you? - Asked the girl.  

- Don’t you see? I am your father - he shouted. - Your loving father. Open the door, immediately! 

The girl backed away from the door in horror. Suddenly, there was a strong kick. Whoever was behind the door now was very eager to get inside. Knocking became louder and louder. Panicked, the girl grabbed a kitchen knife and hid in the pantry. She was sitting there shivering until she heard the sound of the door being knocked down.  

Then there she heard someone’s devilish voice:  

- Come out to play.  

The girl could not help herself. She let out a loud scream. The pantry door swung open and an ugly, clawed hand appeared in the pantry, grabbed her by the hair and dragged her outside. The girl was kicking and screaming, but it was useless ... 

The same evening, when the girl's father returned home, he immediately realized that something terrible had happened, seeing the knocked out door. Broken pieces of the door were scattered around the hallway. He entered the dark house and turned on the light, and then called for his daughter, but no one answered him. Terror-stricken, he became desperately looking for his daughter. He searched the living room, the bathroom and her bedroom, but the girl was not there.  

- Daughter! - He exclaimed. - Where are you? 

He was about to call the police when his phone rang. 

He received a text message from her daughter. 

He sighed in relieve and clicked on a text message. 

It read: NOW SHE IS PLAYING WITH US! IN HELL!