"Alright, class! Good morning! I'm happy to see that all of you were able to find your new seats," Mr. Brown said, making his way towards the front of the room. "I will be using that to take attendance today, so please make sure that you are sitting in the correct spot so that you don't get marked absent. While I do that, I would like you to take a few minutes to introduce yourselves to your table members. You will be working closely together during the next unit, so I want you to at least know each other's names. Go ahead."

You slid a little farther down in your seat, not wanting to be the first to introduce yourself. Thankfully, Tyler was more than willing to start everyone off.

"Hi, my name is Tyler."

He looked to you and raised his eyebrows. You cleared your throat and sat up a little straighter.

"Y/N," you said, forcing a smile.

The rest of the table introduced themselves and then went quiet, getting back on their phones or making faces at their friends across the room. You idly tapped your pencil against the cover of your notebook.

"What music were you listening to?" Tyler asked.

The question took you by surprise. Sure, your friends had told you that he was talkative at times, but you never really expected him to talk to you. You stopped leaning on your hand and turned to face him.

"Oh, you know, just random stuff," you said, too embarrassed to give him the actual answer.

"That's cool," he nodded.

"Do you... ever... listen to music?"

Really?

"Yeah, I'm really into music."

"Who do you listen to?"

Tyler shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "I think The Killers and Death Cab for Cutie are my favorites right now, but it's always changing."

"My brother really likes The Killers, he's constantly playing their music while he does homework."

"Same, I listen to their music when I practice basketball, usually."

"You play basketball?"

Yes. You already knew the answer.

"Yeah, I've been playing since I was little."

"Are you going to try out for the basketball team?"

You were surprised by how easy conversation with Tyler was becoming. Maybe it was the encouraging smile on his face or the fact that he hardly even blinked when you were stumbling over your words. Either way, you were beginning to be thankful for the seating arrangement change.

"I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure that I would be good enough."

"It's worth a shot, isn't it?"

"Yeah, you're right," he smiled. "I guess I don't want people to think I got picked just because my dad is the varsity coach."

"Easy, just make sure you're actually good at basketball," you laughed.

"I am, don't worry."

You were about to make a joke about his cocky attitude, but the teacher grabbed everyone's attention again and started to talk about what he had planned for the day. Tyler smiled at you over his shoulder before turning and paying attention.

This was definitely turning out better than you had anticipated.

*     *     *