Chapter 7 - The Investigation

Rian threw himself on a bed as soon as they got back to the motel, "Wake me up in a year," He said. Misty went over and let gravity pull her onto the couch. She rubbed her temples thinking, this is so overwhelming, why can't the kid just run to us and that be it, who wrote that letter and where does Wast fit into all of this. 

                      "Typical Rian," Terrisa laughed.

                        "Hey, I was trapped by the kid we're trying to save who used magic, I think my brain deserves a rest," Rian defended. 

                        "He's not entirely wrong, we should all get a bit of rest," Miss Beron said, "Then we can get an explanation." 

                      "No," Misty stated, "I have another lead I have to check out." 

                     "Misty," Zach started. 

                      "It's only nine o'clock, don't tell me you're getting old on me now too," Misty said.

                     "No, but you have been in two dangerous situations today, isn't that enough?" Zach pleaded, his brown eyes looked at her worriedly. 

                       "I'll be fine," Misty snapped, "I survived two dangerous situations in a day, ya know." 

                      "He's not wrong, it could be another trap," Terrisa said. 

                      "I doubt they realized we escaped the house one yet," Rian countered sleepily. 

                    "Yeah, plus, I have this rad dagger that cuts through magic, I'll be fine," Misty reassured. 

                     "Except that the handle gets hotter the more it cuts, and it gets hot pretty quick. Like eight cuts until it's unusable I'd estimate," Rian interjected. 

                      "I thought you were on my side," Misty sighed. 

                      "I'm just stating the fact, like how elves exist and magic does too, apparently," Rian said. 

                       "Yeah, mind explaining that too?" Terrisa asked. 

                    "Well, I'll start with magic, apparently according to my brother's journal, magic exists, and that's what was used to trap us," Misty explained, "The entire house was covered in magical roots in a matter of seconds that came out of nowhere. So, yeah, I'd say magic."

                      "What about elves?" Zach asked. 

                        "The kid we're chasing I assume is an elf, they have pointy ears and use magic which according to the journal was 'species magic' also, my brother's house had papers about elves and stuff littered around everywhere," Misty added. Misty felt her stomach knot up a little by just talking about her brother.

                        "I still don't think you should go, I mean, it could be a trap," Zach repeated. 

                       "I have to, Zach," Misty said, shaking off the dreadful feeling.

                        "I think," Miss Beron started. 

                        "I swear if you say I shouldn't go because it's a trap," Misty warned.

                        "Actually, I was going to say, if you feel like you should go, do it. I know you can handle yourself," Miss Beron smiled.