Chapter 10 - The Transition

Misty slowly opened her eyes, Miss Beron, Terrisa, and Euca looked to be sleeping soundly in their beds. She got up off the couch, trying to fully wake up. Misty glanced back at the couch, half tempted to just give in and flop back onto it to get some extra shut-eye. She shook her head and rubbed her groggy eyes, then she stood up and tossed on her jacket. She then as silently as possible walked outside.  

                She took a deep breath of the chilling autumn air and looked over at the forest. It was disheartening to see that the beautiful leaves of the trees had started to fall off. And, that the blissful moment of autumn, where all the trees had their warm welcoming reds, oranges, and yellows, was all coming to an end. 

                I'm still surprised that Miss Beron called in and told the school to excuse us for the rest of the week. I thought I'd have to twist her arm for a favor like that. Luckily, Rian and Terrisa also were able to get excused. The kid still hasn't talked to us though, however, the fair today, hopefully, will change that, Misty thought. "I guess... I should... maybe, thank Beron for that. I was going stay no matter what though," Misty yawned. She pulled out her phone, checking the time, the clock read 10:35 AM. "Around two more hours until the fair is supposed to start," Misty sighed, and slid her phone back in her jacket, "Let's hope this works." 

              Misty turned her head back at the room, she saw someone standing behind her, silently staring. Misty jumped back a little as she got a jolt of adrenaline. She let out a sigh of relief when she realized it was just Euca. "Why can't you just make some noise at least," Misty groaned. Euca focused their eyes down on the floor. 

                "Sorry, you just gave me a shock is all. Wanna, uh, look at the forest with me?" Misty asked, scratching the back of her head. Euca looked up and walked over to the railing, "Be careful, I'm pretty sure this old railing can easily pop out at any second." 

                   Euca nodded and studied the forest. The two of them just stood there and enjoyed the peaceful sight of the forest until Misty looked over at Euca who had tears swelling up in their eyes. Misty slightly recoiled, not knowing exactly how to deal with the situation. In four sentences I made a kid cry! I definitely should never be a parent! she thought, worriedly.  She kneeled down to Euca's height, "Euca? What's wrong?" Misty worriedly asked. 

                  Euca shook their head and wiped their tears away, "It's alright if you're sad, I'd say you can talk to me but," Misty started, Euca shook their head vigorously and hugged themselves, seemingly calming down. Misty paused for a second, then continued, "Do you... want a hug?"  

                  They shook their head, refusing the offer. Euca stopped hugging themselves and wiped their eyes one more time before quickly turning around. They went back into the room without making a single sound. Misty sighed, mildly disappointed in herself, "Can't even comfort a kid, I definitely should never be a parent. And maybe... just maybe, I give Miss Beron too much crud for all the work she does. But then again, I doubt she's ever had to deal with something like this," she stubbornly told herself.

                 After a while, Misty decided to walk back in. The other had woken up by now, and Euca looked totally normal as if no tears ever rolled across their face. Terrisa was on her phone, and Miss Beron was making her bed. "Misty, do you know if the boys are awake yet?" Miss Beron asked.

                "Urgh, I could go check," Misty groaned. 

              "If it's a bother, you don't have to," Miss Beron interjected.

                "No, I was just outside anyways," Misty insisted. 

               "Alright, be careful. Rian's bad style could blind you," Terrisa snickered.