Chapter 14 - The Remains

Zach sighed. He couldn't spot anyone he'd be able to deem as suspicious. No matter his attempts to be useful. I guess it's good that no one seems to be going after them. I could've let someone slip by, though. Just like some stupid faulty piece of wiring that short-circuits the entire device, Zach sighed again, agitated. His brown eyes tried to pick out someone from the groups of laughing people enjoying the fair. "You'd think waiting in a safe area would be less stressful. But, honestly, I wish I was running with Misty about right now," Zach grumbled. His fingers anxiously rubbed against each other.

             "Zach! There you are!" Miss Beron shouted, running over to him.  Zach whipped around to see Miss Beron. "My goodness, I was worried." 

              "What's wrong?" Zach asked. He knew something happened with the amount of worry plaguing her face. Although, he had to admit his face didn't look any less worried. 

             "So you haven't heard? The entrance to the funhouse forest that Misty and her friend went into is blocked off! A thorny wall, made of wood, is blocking it!" Miss Beron explained, distressed. Zach gritted his teeth as he searched his brain for what could've happened.  "Wait, where's Euca?" 

             Zach looked around, then he facepalmed. "I was too busy looking for someone suspicious and didn't notice they ran off, sorry," he apologized. He suddenly remembered that Misty and Rian were both trapped by magic last week. 

            "Nothing we can do about it now. Do you know where she went off to?" Miss Beron questioned. Zach shook his head, no. 

              "I do remember that they said they were trapped before, with Rian. This could be the same thing that happened last week," Zach purposed. 

               "That makes sense. Do you think Euca could've followed them?" Miss Beron asked. 

            "It's possible. Euca could've gone with them, tailed a suspicious person, or went with Rian and Terrisa. Though, the concerning thing is that Euca could've also been the one to put it up. If I recall correctly, she said the kid trapped them," Zach listed out his thoughts. 

             "No, Euca wouldn't do that to them," Miss Beron shook her head. 

              "How do you know?" Zach tilted his head, his eyes still partially scanning the crowd. 

             "I know they're not that type of kid. Just like how I know that Rian and Terrisa will protect each other. And how I know Misty won't let anything happen to her friend," Miss Beron answered. 

              "Speaking of, how are you doing? I know you really get sad when she, uh, what's the word for it?" Zach said, scratching his head, trying to remember. 

               "Yeah, I'll be fine when we know they're safe. We should go check it out," Miss Beron hurriedly replied. Zach nodded in agreement. Just as they were starting to walk off, both of their phones received a text from Terrisa. Zach checked his, 1:30 PM - Zach, we're coming back. Euca MIGHT have been taken. We need to get Misty rn!!!

                "Well, that sure complicated thing," Zach twirled his phone in his hand. Miss Beron's hand was covering her mouth.

                 "Oh no, the poor thing," Miss Beron's compassion-filled voice uttered.  Zach could hear her breathing speeding up. 

                  "Calm down, it's fine. Euca will be fine. After all, if you know Misty, you know that there's no way she would give up that easily in a game of tug o' war!" Zach pulled the best grin he could manage. He rubbed his wrist.