Defecting

The next day I walk into the bunker. We are walking pass the farm when I see Copper coming out of a room. She locks it before walking away. They are hiding something. 

I walk into the cafeteria to see Bellamy sitting with Monty and Harper. I grab two food trays before sitting with them. Madi stares at it. 

"I know it's not what you're use to but it will fill you up." She nods taking bite, puckering her lips out and shutting her eyes. We all laugh, including her. I look at Bellamy to see him staring at me. "What?"

"I never thought I would see you laugh again." I smile eating my own food. We soon spilt up, Monty goes with Harper to look at the computers they have. Bellamy and I take Madi outside. She keeps asking him questions about space. 

Like me she has only ever known the ground. Later we hear that wonkru members are thinking of defecting. A few defected last night, the ship is coming again tonight. Bellamy leaves us to find Echo and to talk to his sister. That night I sit outside our tent as Madi gets ready for bed. I twirl a knife as I think what we should do. 

Octavia would kill us if she thought her people would turn against her. I know Gaia still has the flame. Someone sits beside me.

"I thought you would have seek'd us out sooner." I look at Gaia as she takes her hood off. 

"Octavia has me watched. It was too risky to seek you out before now." I nod putting my knife away.

"What do you want, Gaia?" I look at the warriors walking around. 

"You need to get Madi out of here." I look at her, concerned. "Many believe that she is a true natblida."

"She's not."

"She is. She was born with it." Gaia says.

"She was injected with the serum like me."

"Before she was born." She points out and I look towards the tents again. 

"Would you do it?"

"No. She is too young. She would die." She says. 

"If she is not a threat then I see no problems." I say staring at her. "Octavia believes that we do not want to take her throne."

"She still worries that her people will turn on her. Demand that she becomes Heda even though she is too young."

"She wouldn't..."

"She gave orders to one of her warriors to kill Madi if others start to retaliate. As long as she is in Polis she is in danger."

"What happened to change everyone?" I ask.

"Lot has changed." Gaia says looking out. "She is not the girl you remember. Even Bellamy see's that she is not the same person he left six years ago." She looks back at me. I nod, understanding what I need to do.

"We'll leave tonight." I walk into the tent. Madi is sitting on her bed, looking at me as I walk in.

"We're leaving, aren't we?" 

I nod. "We're not safe here. Octavia is not the person she was six years ago."

"Do you think she'll kill me?" I grab her, pulling her against me, kissing her head. 

"I won't let anything happen to you." I move her head. She looks up at me, tears forming in her eyes. I wipe a stray one away. "We're family, family looks out for each other." I kiss her head before moving to our bag. 

Once the bags are packed we walk out of the tent. I look across to see Bellamy kissing Echo. She soon walks towards the entrance of Polis. I look at Madi.

"Stay here." She nods as I walk towards him. He turns his head looking at me, walking to meet me the rest of the way.

"Echo's defecting?" I ask.

"Not exactly. Come on, I'll tell you in the bunker." He grabs my arm when I stop him.

"Bellamy." He looks at me. "We're leaving too." he stares at me, shocked.

"Wait." He holds his hand up. "No, Echo's defecting so she can take the eye in the sky down, so that we can go to the valley..."

"No." I interrupt him. "You don't understand. Diyoza is the least of my problems. Your sister is dangerous." He stares at me, wide eyed. "She wants to kill Madi if her people retaliate against her. I can't let that happen."

"Let's talk about this..." I listen to him, looking to where Madi was standing. She isn't there. 

"Where's Madi?" I walk to the spot were she was standing. I look around. "She was standing right here." I look at him.

"Come on. We need to find her." I follow him as we run through Polis. We look in buildings and behind broken walls. She is no where in the broken city of Polis.

We are about to go into the bunker when we hear gunshots. We look up to see someone shooting at the people defecting. Bellamy and I run up stairs to see what is going on. We get to the top to see Copper shooting at the defectors.

"What are you doing? We had a deal?" He questions her. She turns looking at us.

"Who do you think gave the orders?" She walks out pass us. I look at Bellamy before going down. 

We go into the bunker into the fighting pit to see Octavia holding Madi. I try to run pass but the guards stop me. 

"Let them through." Octavia says. I run down the ramp. She turns holding Madi as I walk up to her. 

"Let her go." I demand. 

"Did you think she wasn't safe with me?" She questions. "I heard that you talked to Gaia." I narrow my eyes, staring at her. "Was told that you planned to leave with my niece before I got the chance to know her." She lets go of Madi, walking up to me. We stand face to face.

"Clarke. I always respected you. Don't ruin it now." She walks out of the pit. I watch her leave, seeing the person she has become. I grab Madi, pulling her against me. I look at Bellamy to see the fear. We are both scared that Octavia will hurt Madi.