.01 the sweetness on our skin

A/N: Hi everyone! Given current COVID-19 circumstances, I have found myself spending a lot more time online than usual. I stumbled across Smosh videos a few weeks ago and immediately fell in love with the members - specifically the dynamic between Shayne and Courtney. The story is set during Smosh Summer Games 2019. Apologies in advance if I don't follow the real-life timeline of events - I figured this order was the best way to strengthen the storyline.

I'm going to use the media headers for each chapter to link some songs I love. Chapter titles will be some of my favorite lyrics from those songs.

Without further ado, let's begin!

***

It was a sunny, balmy July day in Los Angeles without a single cloud in sight. The Smosh family had been instructed to meet early on Sunday to pack up the bus and vans with assorted foods, costumes, and props. I loved this time of year, probably more so than any other. Summer Games had a wonderful way of bonding the cast, forming memories, and motivated me to create even better content for the fans. It was basically a vacation paid for by work – what else could I ask for?

We all gathered on the sidewalk outside the office at 7am, minus Keith, who I assumed was running late as usual. We had already been there long enough to place all of the Smosh gear in the bottom of the bus, and Olivia just finished shoving her duffel bag into the bed of the truck ("I have ALL the snacks," she exclaimed excitedly, fully knowing that snacks would be provided on the trip).

As we waited to find out who would be vlogging on the ride over, I took one last long sip of iced coffee, wishing there was a way for the caffeine to directly feed into my bloodstream. I, being the worst, saved my packing for the last minute. The night before was nearly sleepless because I was too busy shoving random toiletries and athletic clothes into a backpack and hoping for the best.

"Morning, sunshine," Noah snorted beside me as he took in my appearance. I flipped him off immediately, causing Olivia and Ian to chuckle nearby. While trying to savor every minute of my three-hour sleep, I didn't leave myself enough time to choose a proper outfit this morning.

I opted for a pair of meshed black leggings and an old Lakers t-shirt that I found in my brother's closet a few years ago. The mustard yellow top had some assorted paint splatters, a small tear in the neckline, and a mysterious brown stain in the bottom right corner that never seemed to come out of the wash. I covered my baggy, sleep-deprived eyes with reflective sunglasses.

"Shut up," I added, after a second thought. "I'm not a morning person."

As he approached, Ian grinned and extended a vlogging camera on a tripod towards me. "You seem awfully chipper this morning. I'm sure the fans would love to see that on the road trip vlog." His words dripped with sarcasm.

Grudgingly, I accepted, taking the camera in my hand. Olivia gently patted me on the back as if to say it won't be so bad!

Somewhere close by, Matt Raub yelled that it was nearing 7:15 - our time to hit the road. Almost as if on cue, Keith turned the corner of the street and ran toward us. He clutched his suitcase in one hand and 7/11 Big Gulp in the other.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry," he panted as he joined the group. "My uber took a wrong turn."

"To 7/11?" quipped Shayne, with a glint in his eye. The whole cast laughed appreciatively as Keith shot Shayne a dirty look.

"Okay, guys, now that we're all here..." Ian began, giving Keith a pointed look. This caused the group to laugh out loud once again. "We have the crew taking most of the stuff, but the van will only be able to seat 10 of us since Matt has graciously offered to drive. The other two are going to have to take this big ol' truck out to the desert and meet us there."