"I don't understand. Why would they want that?" He leaned his elbows on his knees and stared at his companion.

"Because they thrive on it. And when they've sucked you dry, they turn you into a mindless drone for their amusement or toss you away like a broken toy."

"So you think we should just let the Supremacy continue their madness just to avoid Oblivion's direct rule?"

Corentin finally met his gaze with a grim smile. "Kid, I think anything is better than letting those monsters take charge. If that means the Supremacy, then yeah. I think they ought to stay in power. Because if you want to bring them down without destroying everything in the process, you'll have to bring down the entire branch of Oblivion that operates here too."

"So that's what we do."

The older man chortled. "You have a suicide wish, son?"

"No, but with all due respect, sir, how long can things go on this way?"

Corentin didn't answer. Maybe because he hand no answer. Or, maybe because he did but didn't like it. He knew the Supremacy inside and out, whatever his thoughts on the matter. He had no reason to lie and even less reason to be out here unmasked, uncloaked, and unprotected unless he was telling the truth. Maybe the Father sent him this way to find Corentin. Actually, on further reflection, there wasn't a maybe about it. The Father had directed every step since this morning. This was no accident.

The only question was... Why? Why send him to Corentin, who was clearly jaded, hated his life, and didn't want anything to do with Supremacy? Was it his job to convince Corentin to help him in his quest to save Viv from them? Something whispered that it was bigger than that. That he wasn't seeing things clearly because he so badly wanted to rescue Viv. Here he was, talking about bringing down the Supremacy and this Oblivion organization, but all he really cared about was getting help with it so he could leave in peace. Could Corentin sense his wrong motivation? Was rebellion really the answer? Was it really a rebellion at all when what they had to fight wasn't so much their rules as it was the evil trying to control them?

Maybe he should try a new tact, focus in on another possible avenue. "Do you believe in the God of the Bible, sir?"

The grizzled man stiffened, but he still remained silent.

"You hid His existence for years. The rest of the Supremacy is still hiding it."

Finally, Corentin sighed. "They're hiding it, yes. Don't know if I believe in Him or not. But hiding His book and what His followers say of Him might be the only thing the Supremacy did for good reasons."

"How is lying good?"

"Kid, you'd lie too if you knew the truth meant the death of your entire world. And I don't mean that figuratively."

"Its death? You can't kill a planet."

"If only that were true." Corentin pushed out of his rocker with a groan. "You can stay the night. I'll consider your request, and we'll discuss it tomorrow."

Seb opened his mouth to ask what had swayed Corentin from hostile to neutral on the matter, but Corentin shook his head. "I'm done with the talk, boy. You can sleep in the guest room. Up the stairs, second door to your left."

He just stood there, frowning. The man was impossible. One minute, he was laughing at Seb's plea for action, and the next he agreed to consider it? Was he bipolar? Or otherwise insane? He didn't seem like it.

"Stop gawking and get moving." Corentin turned his back on Seb. "I said I'd think about it, and that's that."

If he didn't leave, Corentin seemed like he might decide it wasn't worth the trouble and kick him back out. He forced himself to say goodnight and trudge up the stairs to bed. But even with a real bed to sleep on for the first itme in a week, he didn't sleep.