Chapter Eleven

SEB STOOPED BESIDE the creek outside his shelter from the previous night, which had been yet another empty cave. He lifted a handful of water to his lips with a sigh. Then he sat back on his heels. Wandering around out here hadn't led him to a city as he'd hoped, and it also hadn't let to any farms or places to find food. Fortunately, when he'd finally gotten too hungry to stand it four days in, he'd caved and pressed his button, praying for a miracle. He'd been given bread, some dried meat, and cheese. Ever since, clicking the button had resulted in the appearance of similar food. Weird how consistent it was, but he wasn't complaining about that. It was a bright point, at least, but mostly, a way to reach Vivian was the only thing he cared about.

Dane had clearly lied about the button, which meant he at least had a chance to rescue Viv. At least he knew using his button wouldn't kill him instantly like the other man had claimed. For once, being defective wasn't so bad. He clicked the button and waited for his usual morning meal.

Nothing came. He clicked it again. Still nothing. His stomach rumbled, and he scrubbed a hand down his face. "Father, what are you doing now?"

No response. But deep down, he knew there had to be a reason for this. In the week he'd spent out here, he quickly came to realize that the Father provided and knew exactly what He was doing. The fact that he was still alive was proof enough of that. If He didn't provide food, there had to be a good reason.

So, if he couldn't eat, he might as well walk. Not as if there was anything better to do, after all. He just walked day in and day out, looking for any sign of civilization and knowing there wouldn't be any unless he stumbled across an empty vacation home. Most people wouldn't live outside the cities and compounds unless they had enough money to pay to maintain a private home and pay the Supremacy for the privilege. Either that or they were homeless scavengers. But really, no one wanted to live on the outside. Not normal people, at any rate. Even the rich rarely visited their homes. It was about bragging rights, not a place to stay.

He kept putting one foot in front of the other, but after striding a few yards from his campsite, his feet stuck as if he'd stepped into wet concrete and then dried there. He frowned and tried to take another step forward. His feet still didn't move. He ground his teeth and tilted his face up toward the clear blue sky overhead. "Am I supposed to walk a different way now? Is that what this is about?"

No answer. So, he tried to head west. His feet refused to respond. Heading toward the creek, however, produced different results. He walked with ease, all sense of heaviness gone. At least that was one question answered. He walked to the edge of the stream, and there he found a shallow stretch to cross. Had that been there before? He didn't remember seeing it, but he hadn't exactly been looking either. "I'd really like to know what's going on," he mumbled. "But I don't suppose you'll tell me..."

As usual, no answer. But the direction on where to go still guided his steps, so he followed. What else could he do? Wandering his own way had gotten him nowhere. His fear and anger only caused him more trouble. Out here, they didn't do anyone else harm, but he'd done more than enough to himself the last week. Really, it was a miracle he was alive at all. But even knowing that, the anger and the betrayal still stung somewhere deep in his heart.

She should've chosen him. They could've run. But without her button, she probably didn't know what to do. He'd seen the fear in her eyes. Of course she'd agree to Dane's request. She was probably waiting on him to rescue her, not expecting that he'd end up out here in the middle of nowhere with no idea where he was or how to find her.

None of this made any sense. Yes, the Father had provided, but He'd also taken everything now. His mentor, his best friend, his home. He'd lost it all because of Dane, and Dane had only taken it because the Father allowed him to. Which made no sense at all. Mr. H had always said that the Father did everything for good, but this didn't seem good at all.