Usayd Bin Hudayr R.A

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله و بركاته

Sayyidina Usayd bin Hudayr رضي الله عنه

When Mus'ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه , the first ambassador of Islam came to Madina, he stayed in the house of As'ad ibn Zurarah رضي الله عنه, one of the leaders of the Khazraj. People were drawn to his eloquent speech, noble character and pure faith that shone on his face. Above all else, they were drawn to the Quran, which he would recite in a sweet, captivating tone, which would cause many to accept Islam.

One day, As'ad رضي الله عنه came out with Mus'ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه to invite a group from the Banu Ash'hal to Islam. They entered one of their gardens, sat near its well, and Mus'ab رضي الله عنه began giving Da'wah.

The information reached Usayd Ibn Hudayr and Sa'd Ibn Muaaz that this ambassador from Makkah had descended close to their homes and that it was As'ad Ibn Zurarah رضي الله عنه who encouraged him to do this.

Sa'd urged Usayd, "You are a great person, go to this Makkan Youth who came to our homes to provoke our weak and make our gods fools, stop him, and caution him from ever daring to step foot in our land after today. If it weren't for the fact that he is the guest of my cousin As'ad Ibn Zurarah, and under his protection, I would have done this myself."

Usayd took his spear and went to the garden. When As'ad رضي الله عنه saw him approaching, he told Mus'ab رضي الله عنه , "Oh no Mus'ab! This is the leader of his people, one of the most intelligent and perfect of men, Usayd Ibn Hudayr. If he accepts Islam, many will follow him, so be true to Allah in regards to him and present Islam to him in the most beautiful way."

Usayd approached the gathering and turned to Mus'ab رضي الله عنه and his companions and said, "What has brought you to our homeland and makes you provoke our weak people. Go far from our locality if you value your life."

Mus'ab رضي الله عنه turned to Usayd, with his face shining with the noor of Iman and spoke to him softly and captivatingly, "Oh leader of the people, can I make a good offer to you?"

"What is it," answered Usayd.

"Sit with us and listen to us, if u like what we say, accept it. If you dislike it, we will leave you alone and not return," said Mus'ab رضي الله عنه .

Usayd agreed, planted his spear into the ground and sat down. Mus'ab رضي الله عنه began to explain to him the reality of Islam, recited a few verses of Quran to him until his face lit up in happiness and he said, "How amazing is what you have said, and how beautiful is what you recited! How do I enter Islam?"

On that day, he accepted Islam at the hands of Mus'ab Ibn Umayr رضي الله عنه. His acceptance led to the acceptance of Sa'd ibn Muaz رضي الله عنه, and due to both of them accepting Islam, a huge group of the Aus tribe followed suit.

Usayd رضي الله عنه loved the Quran immensely since he heard it from Mus'ab رضي الله عنه and he immersed himself in it completely, like how a thirsty person loves cold water on a scorching hot day. Anytime he was seen, he was either in the path of Jihaad, or devoted in reciting Quran.

He had a melodious, clear voice, with shining expression. His recitation was most beautiful when it was late at night, when the eyes of people were asleep, and the souls were serene.

The Sahabah would yearn for the times of his Quran recitation and rush to listen to him recite. How fortunate were those who heard his beautiful, perfect recitation.

Just as the people of the earth found his recitation sweet, even the inhabitants of the heavens found his recitation beautiful. One night, Usayd رضي الله عنه was sitting in his courtyard, his son Yahya was sleeping next him and his horse that he used for Jihaad was tied nearby. The night was tranquil and serene, the surface of the sky was pure and clear with stars gently twinkling and shining onto the earth.

Usayd رضي الله عنه 's heart yearned to make this beautiful night even more beautiful through the sweetness of Quran, so he began reciting Quran in a sweet, melodious voice.

Suddenly he heard his horse start to run in circles, almost breaking the rope that kept it tied so he kept silent, and the horse settled and calmed down.

Again he began to recite and again the horse became extremely agitated so he stopped. This happened many times, whenever he would recite Quran, the horse would panic and become agitated, and when he stopped, it would calm down.

Usayd رضي الله عنه became scared that the horse would trample his son Yahya, so he went to wake him up, and that's when he happened to look towards the sky. He saw clouds like a canopy, so splendid and remarkable that he had never seen something like it before, attached to them was something like lamps. The whole horizon was filled with light and radiance, for as far as his eyes could see.

In the morning, he went to Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم and narrated to him what he saw. Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم said to him, "Those were angels that were listening to you, oh Usayd, and if you continued to recite, all the people would have seen it and it wouldn't remain hidden from them."

Not only did Usayd رضي الله عنه love the Quran so much, but he also had immense love for Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم. Hadhrat Abu Layla رضي الله عنه says that Usayd ibn Hudayr رضي الله عنه was a good man who was always smiling and good humoured. One day, as he was speaking to some people in the presence of Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم and making them laugh, Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم poked his side.

"You've hurt me," Usayd رضي الله عنه complained.
"Then take your revenge," replied Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم.
Hadhrat Usayd رضي الله عنه remarked, "But you have a garment on, while I don't."
Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم raised his garment and Usayd رضي الله عنه immediately embraced Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم and started kissing his sides. He said, "May my parents be sacrificed for you oh Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم. This is all I wanted to do."

So amazing was his love for Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم, but more amazing was how much Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم loved him back, due to him being an early Muslim, and due to how he defended Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم in the battle of Uhud, to the extent that he was stabbed seven lethal times on that day. So favored by Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم was he, that whenever Usayd رضي الله عنه interceded on behalf of someone, Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم accepted it.

May Allah illuminate the Qabr of Usayd رضي الله عنه and may he put into our hearts a similar love for Allah and his Rasool, as well as Kitaabullah, just as Usayd رضي الله عنه loved them. Aameen