Abbaad Ibn Bishr R.A

Abbaad Ibn Bishr رضي الله عنه

Once, when returning from a campaign, Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم happened to stop for the night at some place. As the Muslims settled to spend their night, Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم asked the Sahabah who would be their guard over them for that night. Ammar ibn Yaasir رضي الله عنه , and Abbaad Ibn Bishr رضي الله عنه , a man from the Ansar volunteered.

They approached a hill top, from which they would be able to watch against any possible attack from the enemy.

Abbaad رضي الله عنه said to Ammaar رضي الله عنه, "Let us keep watch and sleep by turn. In the first half of the night, I will stay awake, while you sleep. In the next half, you may keep watch while I go to sleep."

Ammaar رضي الله عنه agreed and went to sleep, while Abbaad رضي الله عنه kept watch. As the night was quiet and calm, Abbaad رضي الله عنه decided not to waste the opportunity and pray Nafl Salah.

Unfortunately for him, from a distance, someone from the enemy saw him in the dark, and let an arrow fly at him. Abbaad رضي الله عنه ignored it, removed the arrow, and serenely continued his Salah which he was enjoying so much.

The man, seeing no movement from Abbaad, shot a second arrow. Again, Abbaad رضي الله عنه ignored and simply removed it before continuing. It was only when a third arrow hit him, that Abbaad woke his companion up.

When the enemy saw that there were now two people, he ran away, fearing that there might be many more of them.

Ammaar رضي الله عنه was horrified when he saw that Abbaad رضي الله عنه was bleeding from three places. "Subhanallah!" he said. "Why did you not awaken me earlier?"

Abbaad رضي الله عنه replied, "I had started reciting Surah Kahf in my Salah. I did not want to cut it short, but when I was struck by the third arrow, I was greatly worried that my death might cause danger to the safety of Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم. That is why I finished the Salah and awakened you. If I were not worried of Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم ' s safety, I would have not gone into Ruku before finishing the Surah, even if I had been killed."

Subhanallah! Can anyone not amazed by this Sahabi?! Arrow after arrow pierced him and he was bleeding, but still, he was not ready to sacrifice the pleasure of reciting Quran in his Salah! Imagine how much love he had for the Quran Shareef! How much pleasure did reciting Quran give him, that he was happy to die, but not stop reciting Quran?! May Allah give each and everyone such immense love for the Quran and accept us to be from the people of Quran. Aameen.