"Ameera and her father visited just as we were about to leave and so we told them to join us here," Kawthar replied.

Diya nodded. "Did your mother not come?"

Ameera's smile instantly dipped though it was obvious to Diya that she was trying to brush it off with her awkward laugh.

"Our cousins are seated over there, come and join us," Kawthar announced, breaking the thick silence. She motioned to where the girls sat and they all smiled and waved back.

"I would love to!" Ameera clapped.

"Make sure you don't leave her out," came a gruff voice behind them, of which Diya recognised all too well. Khalid walked over to them with Kawthar's husband Amr beside him.

Her heart immediately began racing. Both because of his presence and because of his words.

"My cousins can be a bit wild," he added.

Their eyes met for a split second before he turned to Ameera, giving one of his rarest smiles.

"Oh please, we're just a fun bunch," Kawthar retaliated.

"Just my type of people!"

Again, Diya watched as Khalid smiled at Ameera. She could have sworn she saw something buzzing between them and instead looked away, fiddling with the tassel on her sleeve.

Just as Kawthar led Ameera over to the girls, Khalid cleared his throat, which made Diya freeze in her steps.

"Her mother passed away last year,"

She turned to face him, mortified at his confession. Heat rose to her face.

"Oh-I d-didn't know,"

"Of course you wouldn't, she is still too traumatised to talk about it,"

Something in his tone made Diya want to run away and hide from him. Not a hint of warmth was present in the words he exchanged with her. Though she couldn't help but feel curious as to how he knew, if she hadn't had the courage to tell Diya, especially when Ameera thought of her as a close friend. Before she could muster a reply, he walked off, leaving Diya to wallow in her own guilt. It was only when her cousins called out to her did she finally take a seat.

As her cousins introduced themselves again, Diya became distracted, her eyes wandering to where Khalid sat with the male members of their family a little further down from them. She had made a fool out of herself in front of him.

"I apologise about before, it was foolish of me to ask," Diya whispered to her as they dug into the food.

"No, it's fine. It's my fault for not telling you," Ameera smiled.

"Tell what?" Kawthar asked shuffling closer to them.

"Oh-um,"

"My mother passed away last year," Ameera announced, bringing the attention of the other girls. Diya noticed her eyes water. "It was a very difficult time for me, but Khalid was so helpful. After the Janazah, he visited my father often. He also helped me to move on,"