Chapter 20: The Birth of a Child

Start from the beginning

She grew silent at the thought of her own selfish reaction. Her eyes scanned the area watching the nuns happily receive items that had became scarce because of the war.

"Forgive me for being rude, sir. I just can't imagine the thought of returning." Eloise apologized softly, glancing back at Thomas.

"I know have not came as often as I should have, but there is a war going on and I can't leave those men to die."

She nodded, "I didn't expect you too, sir. I have done fairly well here." She shrugged, reminiscing the time that had passed. "What is the war looking like on the outside?"

Thomas glanced around. "It is getting bad." She could sense the tenseness in his body. "I have been on the frontlines. Some things I have seen are unimaginable."

Eloise thought for a moment and took him by the hand, hoping to ease him momentarily. "You are not there now. Let your mind escape no man's land."

"You know better than anyone," he paused to shake his head, "one does not escape no man's land."

Her mind returned back to a place where she hated—a place she had longed to forget, but couldn't. The faces of men burned and butchered haunted her thoughts. She could see their dying eyes, pleading for peace in her sleep. She quickly tried to shake the memories away, but they lingered like the fragments of stardust in the skies.

"I need to help the Lieutenant with the supplies." Thomas quickly remarked, moving past Eloise.

She nodded and calmly returned to the same step which she occupied daily. Her eyes always returned to Thomas as he walked near her. She studied his movement—movements that vividly reminded her of Albert. She shook the thoughts away from her mind and watched the children playing among themselves.

A stirring movement at her side alerted her for a moment. It was Thomas, who began playing with children. For a moment true happiness beamed from the emotionless eyes of the medical general. The jovial sight brought a smile to her face as she watched them. The heavily worn ball rolled to meet her feet. She glanced down at it and took it into her hands. As she poorly tossed it back the children laughed. Peace had exposed itself once again in the barren lands of war.

She gently leaned back on the steps. The cool sensation of the shaded bricks momentarily eased the aches that had formed in her back. Her eyes closed for a moment, taking in the content scene in her mind. It was a rare occurrence to see true happiness, yet there it was beaming from all parties who were playing. She soon felt the warmth on her feet vanish, causing her to return to the world. To her dismay Thomas stood in front of her. Sweat beaded around his forehead as he sat down beside her.

"Is this what you always do?" He asked, motioning at the step.

"Yes, sir. This is nothing else I really can do in my condition." She placed her hands on her stomach once again. "The women won't let me do any of the daily chores anymore. We are expecting this child to come at any moment now."

"Well, Eloise," Thomas spoke cheerily as he rose, "It is such a beautiful day. Would you like to accompany for a walk? There is no harm in that. We will go slowly and if you feel discomfort we will return."

Thomas outstretched his hand. Eloise stared at it blankly for several seconds before taking it. He quickly entwined his arm with hers as they began their walk. A calming silence was among them. Neither had much to say, just the company of a familiar person was all either wanted. They listened as the birds around them sang a summer song. Neither could hear the sounds of war or the song of death ringing. For that moment there was peace in the air.