******

Everyday it was an adventure for them both as they ran all over the keep and got into trouble of all sorts. From stealing Grimms apple pie. Dumping Moira's clean linens on the dirty floor running through the wash room after being chased by Henry the blacksmith.

The day went by ,they  continued talking and walking about. From the near stables they walked to the battlefield and back to the courtyard.

“Did you meet Lord Gavin yet.” Edward stopped and asked.

Stopping for a while she faced him and shrugged a no trying to remember .

“No, I don’t think I have. I fell asleep late and before I could see my father this morn ,Maude told me they all went hawking.”

She bent over to pick up a flower and play with it.

“He is huge, and muscular. When I become a knight I want to be as big as he,” Edward boasted.

Giggling Brienna  looked at him pose puffing out his chest.

“How do you know he is huge and muscular, Edward?”

“All the servants talk about him, about how gorgeous and strong he is,” He rolled his eyes mocking the words.

“I don’t see what all the fuss is about, he is just a man.” She turned and walked.

“Aye, but not just any man Brienna,  he is a warrior and I hear he is one of the most feared on the battlefield.” Skipping close to walk beside her he continued.

Stopping near a clearing where her father’s men trained, they  Picked up sticks and  began to play spar.

“I do say Brienna you are a rather odd girl.” Edward stood blocking a little sun with his hands.

Frowning she looked at him puzzled with what he was saying. “Why do you say that, Edward?”

“Because you are not like all the girls, you don’t swoon when you see a frog, you climb trees and you punch really hard like a man,”

He rubbed his arm with the two day bruise she left him.

“Besides pretty soon you wont be able to do such things as this,”  He continued.

“Why? What do you mean?” putting her hands on her hips she waited for an explanation.

“You will be the Lady of the keep, you will have many suitors looking for your hand in marriage,” He leaned against a nearby post.

He looked down at the floor with a gloomy stare he continued.

“You will fall in love naturally and have a family”  he looked up at her .

Brushing off the offensive thought she looked away clenching her hands into fists. “Tis not true I will do no such thing,” She continued to walk forward. Turning she pointed her stick to him.

“Now quit talking and lets fight,” She looked him square in the eye.

Looking over her shoulder he saw her father and the rest of his party riding in at a distance.  Turning she followed his gaze and looked at the three men infront her father, her uncle Harold and Lord Gavin.

Her heart skipped a beat. His appearance was breathtaking. In all the years she has seen knights and squires of all sorts she had never seen a man quite like him. His sun bronzed skin shocked and fascinated her.  All time stood still.

A soft whisper came to her ears. 

“See, you and  they all swoon for him.” Edward stood beside her.

Her cheeks burned. Turning she faced him with a nasty look.  A dazzling smile caressed his gloating face.

He was right the wretch was completely right he read her thoughts so neatly and she didn’t like it one bit.

The warning glare of her now icy green tinged eyes put him into walking backwards. Nervously he began to sweat. Trying to justify his words he begged her to not hurt him.

Turning he bolted off in a run.

Running fast as his slinky legs could carry him.

*******

Strolling on their horses they continued talking.

“It was a good hunt don’t you think” Harold smiled.

“Aye, it was.” Hugh answered riding at a slow stride with the rest of them. The sentries at the gate let them in with a slight bow.

When they reached the stable , they dismounted and continued talk of their day.

The ill shreek of what seemed a child came from outside. All of their hands went instantly to their hilts as they walked out into the clearing near the courtyard.

They watched as a tall boy ran and a girl followed behind him. Slight cackles of laughter came from behind them watching how Edward ran screaming from Brienna.

“M’Lord that is Brienna chasing  Edward.” Thomas stood beside them.

"And I believe the screams are coming from him."

Walking in slow strides they watched Brienna catch up to Edward and corner him. With instinct he guarded his stance with a quick swipe of the stick. Rolling to the ground he missed her strike. She bore down on him with such agility.  He was no match for her skills she no longer held back what her father taught her.

He begged her to take it easy but it was not heard. With the glimpse of pride she continued. Not wanting to fight her for real he had no choice but to strike back. Surprisingly he was good.

“Brother what did that boy do to anger her so?” Harold chuckled.

With a shake of his head Hugh stood with an inkling of pride noticing his teaching came through every stance and move was clear she learned well.

Gavin leaned on a nearby by post with arms crossed and watched. There was no doubt that she had agility. He smiled to himself at how she gave this poor boy no chance to recover from her blows.  She swiftly clipped his stick cracking it in half pushing him back until he plopped in a puddle of mud.  It was evident she was upset. With that she tossed her stick to the ground poked him in the chest and left.

Chuckles and hurrahs resounded behind them. Hugh watched his daughter stomp away into the greathalls.

All of them walked over to a sulking Edward clutching his chest and sitting where she left him. His baffled look and badly beaten pride just sat there.

“Edward my boy,” Hugh leaned forward patting him on the shoulder.

“Ay, M’Lord.” He breathed looking down at his feet.

“Do I even want to know what this was about.?” He smirked.

He offered his hand to help Edward up pulling him featherless to his feet. Dusting off his pants with hay and mud he looked up and thanked Hugh. 

Patting him on the back he joined the circle of chuckling men. His defeated pride of being bested by a girl loomed over him.

“I could have won this battle Milord but she is a girl it would be ill of me to fight her back. Being she is your daughter and all,”  He explained.

They continued laughing at his expense.