06 | smiling

"Lisa," I felt someone tap my shoulders. "Lisa, wakey wakey!"

My eyes fluttered and was met by the sight of Rosé with a small smile and messy hair. "Huh?"

"We fell asleep." She told me. "It's 5 am. I called my dad and he's picking us up. He can drop you off at home so you can get ready for school."

I bolted right up. "Shit."

I was immediately wakened up to see that the sun has risen and there were birds flying around. How could I have fallen asleep so easily on the sandy floor of a playground? It was insane.

But then again... it felt peaceful. I haven't slept that soundly in so long. I don't know if it is the alcohol or all the running around but I felt like my entire being was at peace. It was different.

"Lisa, I had a dream."

I looked over to Rosé who was stretching out her limbs. "I dreamt you and I were in a field of different colored Chrysanthemums."

"Is that a flower?"

"Yes, silly." She chuckled. "You were in a long dress and you were scared of something but eventually, we were like running together so fast that our feet didn't even touch the ground. It was magical."

"That's odd but cool, I guess."

Rosé smiled. "I think that's my dad from around the corner! Let's get going. We don't wanna miss school."

I looked behind and saw a vintage-looking powder blue car pulling up. I got up, following Rosé and dusted my hands as I made way to the car with her. Rosé and I got in the vintage car and the inside actually smelled like fresh cherries.

Rosé's adoptive dad was a handsome white man with brooding eyes and a tall nose. He kinda look like Brad Pitt but clean and with brown hair.

"Roseanne, I see you have a stray cat with you." He joked smiling warmly at me. "I'm Robert. I'm one of Roseanne's dads."

"This is Lisa, dad. She's my liminal friend." Rosé said with a playful smile at me, obviously referencing our discussion. She was so open and chill with her father. My parents wouldn't allow me to stay up late with a stranger at some park; let alone sleepover in a playground. Yet, her dad seemed to be used to it. Or, maybe he was just laidback.

"Liminal friend? Is that a new word for lesbian?" His dad laughed loudly. "I'm just kidding."

I tensed up but Rosé was laughing along. How were they so easygoing with each other? "You girls wanna driveby McDonald's to get something to eat. Where do you live, Lisa?"

"By 3rd street, sir."

"Ooh, you hungry? I loved the McDonald's sandwich things until we decided to try more plant-based diets. Now, I just have the hashbrown." He shared.

"Oh no, I'm good but thanks."

He hummed. "Alrighty. I'll drive on over there right now."

The car ride was not long but it sure felt awkward to me. Rosé took after her dad. He was easygoing and had a good energy. Yet, I still felt awkward. Maybe it was the lack of human contact for the past months or maybe it was because I fell asleep in a playground with some girl and now, I'm meeting her dad.

Either way, pretty awkward.

"Alright, we should be near your house." He said. "Let me know where to stop."

"Oh right there." I said when we passed by my house. The car came into a halt and I looked over to Rosé who was smiling. "Thank you for last night."

"No problem, Lisa. I'll see you in school."

"Take care, Lisa!" Rosé's dad

I watched the vintage car drive away as I let out a quick yawn. Last night felt like such a dream; even seeing Rosé in the morning didn't justify it. It wasn't like me to be that spontaneous. I mean, not until well...

I got in the car to see my mom wasn't awake yet. I sighed and decided to grab a bowl of cereal. As I was filling my bowl up, my phone vibrated. I picked it up and saw a message from Rosé.

It was a photo of me.... fast asleep on the floor of the playground. I smiled and shook my head. I continued pouring myself a bowl before sitting myself down and eating loads of sugary cereal.

It didn't take long until my mother woke up and made her way down. "Good morning, Lisa." She smiled patting my head.  "You look different today."

Oh crap, of course, I was still in outside clothes and covered in grass from the playground. I don't know how to explain that to my mom. Before I could say anything, she said. "I haven't seen you so smiley in a while."

I blinked. "What?"

"When I entered, you were smiling to yourself." My mom said as she poured herself coffee. "I missed that smile."

...Oh.