When You Walk in the Room

Start from the beginning

"What is this reason?" she asked, somewhat intrigued.

Harry wouldn't budge. He just gave her a sly grin and a shrug. "You'll find out."

"'ow's work?" Brona asked.

That was the reason Harry was showing up her so much lately with Donna at his feet and a pleading smile plastered on his face. The sectary in the company office that he worked in was acting quite dodgy. He and others would have to stay late and do extra work so the company wouldn't fall behind. Karen was also on the other side of Liverpool, nursing her father, and Donna couldn't be left unattended.

Harry sighed, shaking his head. "Stressful," he huffed. Brona frowned slightly, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "It finally 'appened; our sectary left us this mornin'. She didn't even leave a reason. It's 'orrid. Not only did she leave us with 'er secretarial service, she also did the accounts."

"Oh Harry, I'm really sorry to 'ear that, mate." She looked at him with concern in her eyes. "What's goin' 'appen."

"Well, most of us did accountin' in school but it's an extra burden for us seein' that she 'asn't done much for the past three months but known of us can take over her secretarial duties. We wouldn't know where to start."

Brona's fist balled at her sides. "'ow can she be let get away with that?! Didn't someone notice she wasn't doin' 'er work properly? It just isn't fair that ye should be left with extra work this close to Christmas! It's goin' to be 'ard to find a qualified sectary this close to Christmas..." she trailed off.

A sudden thought occurred to her and she looked as though a light bulb had been lit over her head. Harry looked at her expectantly, but a little unsettled.

"Jackie!" Brona beamed. "Jackie! Jackie's a trained sectary." Harry's eyes bulged out off his head and he shook his head vigorously. "She'd be perfect. You can teach 'er accounts, if you wish."

"Um, no," he deadpanned. "I'm not employin' 'er."

"But-"

"I gotta go back to work," Harry said quickly, swiping his keys off the kitchen table. He gave her a quick peck on her hair. "Make sure Donna does her 'omework. You're a darling, and I love you," he teased before making a beeline to the door.

Brona frowned deeply. That was her line.

Deciding to make a cup of tea for herself, she headed over to the cupboard and took out the box of tea bags. She filled the kettle with water and put it to boil before heading over to the tea pot, only to discover it wasn't there.

She furrowed her eyebrows. Her eyes scanned the entire kitchen carefully, before giving up. She took the kettle of the hob and walked into the sitting room, deciding to investigate the whereabouts missing tea pot.

"Hey, where's the tea pot - George!"

Brona gasped when her eyes landed the young man dressed in drainpipes and a jumper sitting on the couch. His eyes shot to her when her heard the sound of her voice, a smile coming out to play.

"'Bout time you got 'ere," he teased, rising to his feet. "Thought I'd be waitin' another few 'ours 'till I saw ya."

A beam sprung on her lips and she felt like the lovely surprise had caused her to forget how to walk. But it wasn't long until the knowledge was found and she met him halfway in a hug. She held him tightly, making sure it was her actual brother, while he rubbed her back.

"I'm 'ome for Christmas," he whispered her wish into her ear.

"Thank you," she whispered back, her voice dripping with gratitude.