Tread Softly

Brona's first day back at Baker's corner shop was an average one. She had fallen back into routine so quickly it was almost like she had never even left. Norman Baker, her boss, gave her half day too so to save her from exhaustion, despite protests from Conall, who had to work his normal hours.

That's how Brona ended up in her kitchen with her only niece, Donna, on her lap as she effortlessly worked Donna's red hair into a French braid. Ever since she was old enough to hold a hair brush, Louise had been teaching her hairstyles, mainly so she could work on hers. Those were the times she missed so much, having Louise do her hair or doing Louise's hair.

Perched on the counter of the cupboards, Jackie Crawley went through the details of her week relationship with Kevin Donovan while Brona was away. Her feet dangled down the cupboards, her feet hovering over the ground. She was the shortest of her two friends, and most girls for that matter, provoking her to wear heels as often as possible.

"And that is the story of my relationship with Kevin Donovan," said Jackie, sounding as if she couldn't care less about him anymore.

"Right," Brona replied immediately, her eyes circling before they returned to focusing on her niece's hair.

"What?" Jackie demanded defensively. "It's the truth." Seeing Brona's eyebrows raised up momentarily in disbelief, Jackie pouted before calling in backup. "Siobhan, get off the phone and back me up!" Her black, chin-length hair swaying back from her face as tilted her head back to help project her voice.

Brona gently shook her head smiling slightly and keeping back a small chuckle. Jackie could be pretty entertaining with her twists of details. "What do you think, Donna?" Brona mused, her eyes briefly touching her niece's ones in the mirror she was holding up. 

"Well," said the school-goer, pausing and pursing her lips in thought. Despite being only six, Donna could come up with the most logical and humorous answers. She was a very in tuned and bright little girl, who Brona adored. They connected on a deep philosophical level, Brona would tell people. "It sounds like fibs."

Brona laughed at her niece's statement while Jackie just huffed, not seeing the funny side of Donna's analysis.

Siobhan emerged into the kitchen, pulling her grey coat on over her blue dress. "My lunch is over. That was Cora Brown, her baby's on the way," she announced to the ladies in the kitchen, pushing her sandy blonde hair behind her ears and swept her full fringe to the left. Siobhan was naturally concerned, evident in her pale blue eyes that always stood out against her pale complexion inherited from her native nationality, especially when they were looking for something, like an answer. It was the perfect trait for her occupation - nursing.

"A pound says it's a girl," Brona said tying a hair tie at the bottom of Donna's plait to hold it in place.

Jackie smiled, accepting the challenge. "You're on."

"I mightn’t be at the pub tonight," the blonde told them, buttoning up her coat. "It depends on the labour."

"I don't envy you, darling," said Brona, taking a gentle hold of Siobhan's wrist. Jackie's face faltered into a pout. "Ring 'ere if you need anythin'."

After saying all her goodbyes, Siobhan grabbed her nursing hat and her bag. "Slán," she called one last time before hurrying out to the front door and out to the curb to her second-hand car. It was quiet for a few moments. Brona was showing Donna her hair in the hand mirror while Jackie sat on the counter, pouting. She broke the silence.

"I envy 'er," Jackie said bluntly, a frown on her face. Brona whipped her head around to face the black haired girl. Her eyebrows were raised momentarily and just as she was about to say something, Jackie hopped of the counter. "I know what it is to work now. I don't want to go back to cleanin' the 'ouse, cookin' the dinner for dad and waitin' around for the right man."