Chapter 8

The first week of school wasn't too eventful, Hope and Landon had quickly become the talk of the school, due to Landon being the new boy that happened to be the only known phoenix to ever exist and Hope being the miracle Mikaelson baby that never really got close to anyone, it was a shock to most of the other students when it came out that they had been together for almost four months.

Hope helped Landon settle into the school, showing him where all his classes were, helping him with his homework for the lessons that he didn't have at Mystic Falls High and telling him which teachers would make his life easier and which ones would make it more difficult. As well as helping her boyfriend, the young tribrid had also spent the entire week avoiding MG, she knew she'd have to face him eventually but she was still upset over everything that had happened the night Landon had died and rose from the dead. Yes, she knew Landon was alive and healthy and MG couldn't control himself, but she was still pissed at him.

"You're gonna have to talk to him eventually," Landon tells his girlfriend as she drives them towards the diner on the edge of town, so they could get dinner before he went to Matt's for the weekend.

"Who are you talking about?" Hope asks, playing dumb.

"MG," Landon replies simply.

"In case you forgot, he killed you," Hope reminds him, "I'm not talking to him."

"If I can forgive him, I'm sure you can."

"You're obviously more forgiving than I am, because if I were to see him right now, he'd be lucky if I didn't rip his head off," Hope says as she parks the car.

"Do I want to know what happened to the people who killed your mom?" Landon asks.

"When my dad brought Roman Sienna to the compound and chained him up, I was prepared to kill him, but he kept talking about how he understood what I was going through and I realised that he lost his mom that day too. Only difference is that his mom deserved it," Hope shrugs at the last part. "I had the power to do it. I had the hollow inside of me. I killed more than forty vampires at once – which I'm not proud of by the way. I destroyed a guy's car hours before I was supposed to die. I think, if I wanted to, I could have burned the French Quarter to the ground."

"Whose car did you destroy?" Landon questions.

As a response, Hope reaches up and places her hands on each side of Landon's face, closes her eyes and focuses, as her memories appear in both their minds.

It was the day of Hope's first full moon, the young tribrid sat at a table outside of the Mystic Grill with her uncle, Elijah. Several jocks were sat at a table nearby throwing rolled up napkins at Landon, who was working there, while they laughed hysterically.

"I'm so sorry," one of them says mockingly, as they get up and head towards a red sports car.

The scene flashes a bright white, before changing to a car wash fundraiser at the high school, the jock's red sports car in the middle, Hope stands in the distance, her uncle a few steps behind her.

"Glas oh li detour, glas of li deltour, glas of li deltour," Hope repeats several times.

The water being used to clean the sports car, begins to freeze over the windows, before Hope flicks her wrists quickly and they shatter.

"My car!" The jock yells.

"Did you do that for me?" Landon asks as he blinks his eyes open.

"He deserved it," Hope smirks, "besides, I'm sure whoever bought him the car didn't mind paying to get the windows fixed."

"Will you ever stop surprising me?"

"Nope," Hope smiles as she begins to climb out of the car and walks towards the diner entrance. Landon shakes his head, before climbing out of the car and walking quickly to catch up with his girlfriend.

"How did you do that thing that you did in the car? Where you showed me your memories," Landon asks Hope, once they're seated with their food in front of them.

"It's a vampire trait," Hope shrugs, "I got inside your head. If I'm honest, I wasn't sure if it would work on you. I mean it works on other vampires, werewolves, witches and humans, but I've never seen anyone try it on a phoenix before."

"Could another vampire get inside your head?" Landon wonders.

"It depends, if I'm weaker than them, or in a vulnerable state then, yeah," Hope explains, "it's not just memories, we can control dreams and make people hallucinate. It's also one of the hardest things for a vampire to learn, it's easier when the other person is at their weakest, or if they have their guard down, like you in the car."

"Are you saying I'm weak?" Landon jokes.

"No," Hope smirks, "I'm saying you need to learn to keep your guard up. If someone got inside of your head, they could hurt you."

"I'm not gonna let anyone hurt me," Landon promises.

"Nobody lets someone hurts them," Hope rolls her eyes, "but it happens."

"Good thing I have a girlfriend who's determined to protect me and looks incredibly hot doing it."

Hope shakes her head at Landon's words, as a blush starts to cover her cheeks. This had quickly become a habit of his, every time they were together Landon would give her a compliment and her face would go bright red. Hope quickly figured out that he did it just to see her blush and even though she knew he meant the words he said, it didn't stop it from annoying the hell out of her.

"We should get going," Hope tells her boyfriend with a sigh, "it's almost six-thirty, you have plans with Matt and I promised Lizzie and Josie a movie night."

"You're right, let's go," Landon pays the bill, before standing up and holding his hand out for Hope to take, she smiles up at him and takes his hand, following him out of the diner and towards her car.

Once Hope's dropped Landon off at Matt's house, she speeds down the winding road and back towards the school. She was supposed to be meeting the twins at six-thirty and if she didn't have to drive Landon home – which she didn't, she could have easily let him wait for Matt to pick him up from the diner, but she wanted the extra ten minutes in the car with him – she would have been on time, but instead she took a detour through the centre of the town and now she's fifteen minutes late. Lizzie was going to be seriously pissed at her.

She was walking down the hall towards the twins' room when she saw MG walking towards her, she assumed he would just walk right past her like he had done the rest of the week, after all he was giving her the space she needed. Her assumption was right, he did walk right past her, probably to go and meet Kaleb downstairs. Before she could stop herself, Landon's words from earlier that afternoon were running through her head. "You're gonna have to talk to him eventually."

He was right, she knew he was right, which is why she was turning around and shouting down the hall, "MG!"