Reach for the Top

You couldn't help but groan as you reached for a plate on the top shelf. You scolded yourself for not running the dishwasher earlier as you continued to claw at the cabinet, trying to reach the plates.

"You alright there, Shrimp?" you heard your boyfriend, Asa, say as he came out of the bedroom, where only moments earlier, you were both watching television.

You grimaced at the sound of your nickname. You didn't necessarily hate as much, as you thought that there were many other names that people could call you, especially your boyfriend.

"I can't reach these damn plates," you muttered, jumping to try and reach the china.

You heard him laugh from behind you as he came up to you, his hands firmly grasping your waist.

"Ready?" he asked, and you nodded, reluctantly.

He let out a soft grunt as he hoisted you up, allowing you to grab the plates on the top shelf.

You glared at him as he set you down, a large grin on his face. You muttered a "thank you" before turning to the pot of pasta that you had warmed up.

"You're so short," he chuckled, giving you a tight hug from behind.

You sighed.

It had been an insecurity for a while, your height. You were the shortest in the family, and it was emphasized even more when your youngest brother skyrocketed above you. Then, Asa came into the picture. At six feet tall, he towered over your small frame; causing you to be the butt of jokes from your friends and family. As much as you loved Asa, you got a lot of crap for being so short compared to him.

"You're so tiny, it's adorable," he continued, laughter laced in his voice.

You sent him a quick glare, gently elbowing him in the stomach.

"I will not feed you if you keep teasing me Ace," you said, spooning out a portion.

"You know I love you, doll," he said, kissing your forehead as you handed him a plate.

You looked up at him, confused.

"Did you just call me doll?"

He shrugged, setting the plate on the kitchen table. "I use it a lot in my next job," he said. "It's nice."

"Whatever," you sighed as he looked over at you grinning.

"That's the spirit, doll."

"Don't push it."