• 𝘹𝘹𝘪𝘪 - 𝘱𝘰𝘦

Start from the beginning

No one stands from their seat. No one declares their doubt in my abilities. They all stay put.

"Okay. We're in this together—even if I'm younger than you'd like. But, if you can treat me as your Captain, I can assure you that this will be the greatest experience of your life. I will make sure Aviation has become the passion you eat, sleep, and breathe by the time I'm done training you." I say.

They all stare at me, then look back at each other again.

"When I tell you about the exhilaration you feel while perusing your first TIE-Fighter, I mean that that sensation is better than the purest form of any drug. It's so addicting and so hard to stop. All you want is to chase after it even more—so much so that you're willing to die for it." I say. "As a Pilot, your job is to shoot down TIE-Fighters and take out surface cannons and go on special missions with classified details—all while putting your life on the line to do so."

I smile at my initiates, positive that this is going to be a life changing experience.

"Follow me. I want to show you guys something cool." I say.

BB-8 and I lead the initiates down the halls, walking in utter silence. The slap of military boots on tile behind me brings back memories from day one of training. I take a sharp turn towards the Med-bay, pushing the doors open, allowing the initiates to peer into the large wing of medical staff.

"Initiates, this place is a safe-haven for the injury prone. If you're anything like me, you dive into a problem before you clear any danger out of the way—then you end up here." I say. "These medical staff are who will or will not save your life. Treat them kindly and they'll most likely take care of you."

I walk them further into the Med-Bay, spotting Marlene and Piper standing at the Nurse's station, flipping through their binders.

"These are Doctors Crowe and Mason, two of the best doctors in the Resistance. Treat them very kindly, they'll more-than-likely be the ones who give you stitches and decide if you really even need the lidocaine." I say.

Marlene smiles at us, raising an eyebrow, then slaps Piper's arm.

"Poe, what are you doing here? Where's Sergeant Solo?" Marlene asks.

I smile, looking back at her.

"I'm taking over for him while he takes some time off. I'm just making sure my initiates know who to respect here." I say.

We exit the Med-bay and I walk the initiates to the Hangar bay, stopping them just before the sliding door.

"Initiates, the world is going to change in this program. Initially, you'll think that the world sits in the palm of your hand—it doesn't. The only thing you control in this world is how you dress and what you eat. In this program, you discover that the Galaxy is even bigger than you had once imagined. Until you go to the stretches of the outer-rim, fly to nearly every old base this Galaxy has to offer, you really don't understand that this Galaxy is far bigger than you can even fathom." I say.

I press the button, allowing them into the Hangar.

"I shouldn't be letting you guys in here so soon, but it's good to have exposure early. To have motivation." I say.

I lead them through the Hangar, showing them the different departments.

"Those are our mechanics. Take any mechanical problems you have to them. They know what to do. Those are our landing and take-off crews. They make sure that, if you land or take-off, you don't blow up in the process. Those are our infantry guys. They're the people on the ground. They give you your space up in the air, you give them their's on the ground." I say.

I approach Snap, Jess, Karé, and Peter. They all wave at us, smiling.

"These are some of our best Pilots. Snap Wexley, Jess Pava, Karé Kun, and Peter Patterson. They're going to help me assure that you are in fact ready for this program." I say.

Jess uncrosses her arms and stares at the initiates intently.

"Are treating you properly, Poe?" Jess asks, staring my initiates down.

I laugh, nodding before I pat her shoulder to ease her.

"They're just fine, Jess. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing." I say.

Jess steps forward, her eyes narrowed as she stares at the initiates, almost as if they are her prey.

"Poe decides which of you will and will not become a pilot. Treat him with respect—your whole career depends on it." She says. "Treat him with anything less than your best, you'll answer to us and the General, got it?"

The initiates all nod, staring back at her, a sense of fear within them. Almost as if she's a rabid dog, I command her to back down and allow me to control the situation.

"Thanks Jess." I say, smiling down at her. "I owe you one."

She smiles back up at me, all of her sharpness and anger dissipated with her smile.

"Hey, you're practically royalty within these walls now. It's an honor to serve you." She says.