• 𝘪𝘹 - 𝘱𝘰𝘦

• p

• p. dameron •

WE'RE THREE WEEKS FROM GRADUATION. After graduation, we become full blown pilots living our own lives to save the Resistance. Do you think you'll be able to make it for Graduation? I really hope you can. If not, I understand. You're busy being a medicine-man. I'll come visit you soon. I promise.
     — Poe Dameron

"On your Six, Poe!" Jess says through the intercom flying behind me.

"That's Kasper to you, Bambi." Han says over the intercom. "Now, go get that Model TIE-Fighter. First to hit it gets the points towards their score."

I nod, pushing forward, flying past Jess to try and find that TIE-Fighter. As I soar above the base, I examine the sky. No threats—No TIE-Fighter. Crap. I can see the marked columns. A blast causes the ship to jolt, sending me flying forward in my seat. I reach up and adjust my helmet.

"Sergeant Solo, sir? I have a quick question if you don't mind." I say.

I can tell that Han has us on speaker, projecting throughout the Hangar bay.

"Yes, Kasper? What is it? Is something wrong?" He asks.

"Can the decoy TIE-Fighter fire? Is it equipped to do that?" I ask.

I can hear the other initiates listening to us, whispering about the training session.

"No. The decoy is piloted remotely by someone here on the base—typically someone from the bridge. They wouldn't shoot at you. The model doesn't have any weapons systems anyway. Why?"

"I'm hit sir. The blast hit my posterior end. I'm losing fuel." I say.

I can hear gasps echoing through the intercom from the initiates. Something else is out here with me other than Jess.

"What? Jessika, did you fire at Poe? Did you hit him?" Han asks.

I watch my fuel gauge. It slowly drops. Not enough that I'm in danger.

"What? No, Sergeant Solo, Sir. I'm not even near Poe right now." Jess says.

"Poe, stand by for orders. I need to assess the situation." Han says.

I look in my view-finder, watching the area behind me. A vessel flies behind me, pursuing quickly.

"It's a TIE-Fighter, Sir. How do you want me to act?" I ask.

"Poe, That's real deal. This is the real thing. Return to the Hanger and try not to alert bystanders." Han orders.

I shake my head, reaching forward, tapping my com-link to connect to General Organa's bridge feed.

"This Fighter is on my ass. I can't shake it. I have to pursue it or it'll shoot me down, sir." I say.

"Poe, return to the Hangar. You are not cleared to pursue." Han orders. "Jessika can finish this."

I put a little power into my steering, speeding up as I fly to get away from the Fighter.

"Sergeant Solo, sir, with all due respect, that is a very shitty plan. I'm pursuing the TIE-Fighter." I say.

"Poe, you are not cleared to pursue. Return to the base that is an order—" Han says.

I reach forward, turning off the receiving end of Han's call. It's just one TIE-Fighter. I can handle it. I drop sharply, causing the TIE-Fighter to fly over me. I fly back up, switch to missiles, and pursue the craft. I aim, chasing the craft. I need to get it out of range of the Base. It flies up in the sky.

"Poe. You need to stop flying up. These old models aren't made for high capacity flying, especially with that hole in it. You need to return to the Hanger." Jess says.

"No. If I return to the Hangar, the TIE-Fighter will follow me. If it follows me, then it attacks the whole Hangar. I'm not doing that to our team." I say.

I push further onto the TIE-Fighter, trying to lure it away from the base before I attack.

"Poe, you're gonna get killed. Please. Just return back to the Hangar. Let me deal with this." Jess says.

"No! You're too far out right now. I've gotta do this, Jess. I'm sorry." I say.

"May the Force be with you, Poe, Always. Stay safe." She says.

I center the TIE-Fighter in my crosshairs. I've got this. A clean shot. Easy enough. I chase it far enough out that it won't hurt anyone when it crashes. I fire three times, hitting the main body of the ship. It lights up and I fly through the flames. It plummets quickly into the ocean. Suddenly, my ship starts falling too. I should've listened to Jess. The ship tailspins rapidly. I grow dizzy and sick. Suddenly, it all goes dark for a second. I open my eyes, gasping for air. I press every button I can to restart the engine. Suddenly, it comes to life nearly crashing into the ground. I fly straight back to the Hangar. I land, climbing out. That was exhilarating. Han and Leia are waiting for me As well as the rest of the pilots, even Jess.

"You're out. Pack your shit and get out of my program." Han says.

The initiates go silent, staring at him wide-eyes. I jump in front of him, stopping him.

"Woah, what? Why? I just took down a TIE-Fighter on my first try!" I exclaim.

Han glares at me, shaking his head. He punches the bridge of his nose.

"You were not cleared to pursue that TIE-Fighter. " He says. "You jeopardized this entire base. You need to understand that and until you do, you are not a pilot under my order."

I shake my head, sighing out sharply. I'm angry. It's not my fault that the TIE-Fighter chose me.

"I made sure that we were out of range of the base before I shot it down. I sunk it. It's gone. And there were zero resistance casualties." I say. "I know what I'm doing because if anyone got hurt, I'd be the one paying for it. Trust me, Sergeant. I just wanted to prove myself to you."

Leia sighs, then smiles as she shakes her head. She looks at Han then back at me.

"Why do you remind me an awful lot of Han? " She asks. "You've got the same mind set and everything."

I smile, sighing as I shake my head. I shrug, not shocked that we act the same.

"Great minds just think alike I guess, General." I say.

She walks away and Han sigh out sharply. He punches me in the shoulder and takes my helmet.

"Next time you're gonna Jeopardize the entire base, maybe don't call my Wife, okay?" He asks.